• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Module Form Width

I've struggled with this issue on a number of site and never solved it satisfactorily. When displaying a form in a side column with the Form Module, the width of the form always extends well beyond the width of the column yet it leaves a wide gap on to the left of the lables (configured with lables to the left of the field). I thought it may have been my templates (created with Template Creator CK) but I have the same issue with Protostar.

In this case I am using Joomla 3.3.6 and Fabrik 3.2 but I have the same issue with earlier versions of Joomla

Here is a current site I am working on http://sodir.xvdg.com/

Well... there is something else involved.... references to "clearfix" and fixed columns seems to be the bulk of the issue (all of which have nothing to do with Fabrik). Not sure what else you are using (some type of layout manager or something?), but it is not raw J! and protostar. If you hit F12 in most modern browsers, you should be able to see and toggle the CSS elements - maybe that can help you see what is where.

Sorry Genyded, I spent hours yesterday doing exactly that and can't see anything that controls column width in the Fabrik css. There is nothing installed here apart from Fabrik, Joomla and the templates. I have removed all installed extensions and gone back to protostar and nothing has changed. This is standard Joomla/Fabrik behaviour on all sites where I have attempted to used the form module in a side column.

That fixes the positioning (we have had to resort to that on previous sites and it is a bit ugly) but we don't want it above, we want labels side by side and we just want the form to display in the right position in the width we specify (or preferably resized to the column width.

Well ... you CAN do anything you want... it's all just CSS and HTML. The FORM custom css file is detailed here http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/form-and-details-templates/#the-custom-css-file and if you set:

Code:
.control-label {   
        text-align: left;
}

you should see the labels will align left. Regarding the width of the labels and inputs (or other elements), those can be set in custom.css as well. The columns and other parents of the overall form are controlled by the template being used, but again those are just css and html and both can be overridden. Fabrik and Joomla controls just like about any other well written ones will often also have a min-width to keep their display usable (if something is TOO small it can't even really be used).

So you can do whatever you want... is all just css and html on a page. The attached is your page with 3 minor css changes....

1) Set the align of the form form label text to left
2) Set the span of your content column to 8 (down from 9) in your template
3) Increased your container width in your template (if you want wider gutters you can leave this as is and decrease the span in #1 above)

Attachments

• css.png
    css.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 368
Thanks for your attempts to help but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. I still can't see what is controlling the width of the form. As I said, the elements and labels are easy but that doesn't change the overall form width which appears to be fixed. The solutions you suggest are effectively trying to move the template around to suit the form when it is the form that has to fit into the template. The form width as set by Fabrik somewhere overrides the template column widths and puts it outside of the container.

Unfortunately the link to the wiki is out of date. The folders referred to don't exist in the current release.

If you want midget size elements (IMHO unusable) inside a tiny box... you can do that too. It's ALL just HTML and CSS (again)....

Please note the attached is YOUR actual link... all I did was toggle some css using F12 (obviously not persisted for me though and you will have to make the changes on the server).

So I'll try to say this one more time and then I give up spending time on this - you can do whatever you want - it's ALL just css and html, but YOU have to do it because the controls have no way of knowing what YOU want.

Attachments

• css2.png
    css2.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 268
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back