cascading dropdown 3 levels

prophoto

I am hoping to setup 3 cascading dropdowns but am having issues getting it to work. My data looks like this:

• item 1
    • sub1
    • sub2
  • item 2
    • sub1
    • sub2
    • sub3
    • sub4
  • item3
    • sub1
      • subsub1
      • subsub2
      • subsub3
      • subsub4
    • sub2
      • subsub1
      • subsub2
      • subsub3
      • subsub4
  • item4
    • sub 1
      • subsub1
      • subsub2
      • subsub3
      • subsub4
    • sub 2
      • subsub1
      • subsub2
      • subsub3
      • subsub4
Basically if the user chooses item3 or item4, then they need to go all the way down the tree and choose subsub1, subsub2, etc. I have lists setup with the data working in down to the second level with CDD, but not the third. Right now I have two lists, one with item1, item2, item3, item4 and their subs, then another list with item3 and item4 and their subs and subsubs. Can someone help or suggest a better way vs using cascading dropdowns since they are not working?

"Not working" is not very informativ.
Which elements did you create? watching what? what do you get? what did you expect?
Can you post screenshots of your element settings?

"Not working" is not very informativ.
I guess I was asking for too much help. I thought I would receive a reply with the 'right way' or 'suggested method' of accomplishing this simple task but I guess I was wrong.

Which elements did you create? watching what?
1 dropdown
2 cdd watching #1
3 cdd watching #2

what do you get?
#3 is always empty, never gives me values to choose from

what did you expect?
um, it to work...!!

Can you post screenshots of your element settings?
See attached.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 720
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 688
  • 2-2.JPG
    2-2.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 683
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 658
  • 3-2.JPG
    3-2.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 635
The element "Sub Business Category" (list Business Subcategories) used as Foreign key watching SubCategory must contain the "Id"(value) of the watched element (i.e. id of your 1st cascading dropdown (list Categories)).
Does it?

The element "Sub Business Category" (list Business Subcategories) used as Foreign key watching SubCategory must contain the "Id"(value) of the watched element (i.e. id of your 1st cascading dropdown (list Categories)).
Does it?
Are you saying I need 3 columns in my 3rd list, not 2? And that the 2nd cdd needs to have match the first dropdown as well as the 1st cdd?

Are you saying I need 3 columns in my 3rd list, not 2?
Yes
And that the 2nd cdd needs to have match the first dropdown as well as the 1st cdd?
No
3rd list needs something like
id: primary key
Sub business category: label of your Sub Business Category
sub_cat_id: id of the sub category the sub business category is belonging to, this is the element used in the "Watch"

The first two are working like a dream no issues. I still can't get the 3rd level to work.

I have setup a new list with 4 elements: id, category, 2nd category and 3rd category. 1 top level category will have 2nd and 3rd levels, but the other 3 top level categories only have second level subs.

I also setup a new test form. In that form I have a normal dropdown with the 4 top level categories, a 2nd level cascading dropdown (which works fine) and the 3rd level CDD which does not. I've attached images with the 3rd level categories' settings per your last post but it still doesn't work.

watch.jpg data.jpg

No.
If your 2nd list (used in 1st CDD) is looking like
id Subcatlabel
1 Subcat1
2 subcat2

Your 3rd list must be something like
id SubBusinessLabel ----subCat-id
1-- sbl1 ----------------------1
2-- sbl2--------------------- 1
3 --sbl3 ---------------------2
4 --sbl4---------------------- 2

and subCat-id has to be used in "Watch" as Foreign key (
The dropdown's table's field that must contain the same value as the selected 'watch elements' value.
")
Usually (if the first of your elements is a databasejoin, not a dropdown) the 2nd element (1st CDD) will need also the constructions id, label, foreignkey (containingthe value (=id) of the watched element)​
In your case it is working because you've set the dropdowns values = labels​

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back