• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Detail form design

mariluzrm

Hello.
I've been searching the wiki but I can't find a way to do it or I don't know if it can be done. I like the design of the modification forms (it has dropdows, textbox, radiobutton, checkbox, etc) but the display forms (detail forms) do not appear text boxes, nor the possible values of the radiobuttons (only the one that has been selected ), the checkboxes do not display the possible options (only the selected ones are displayed) ... Is it possible that the display form is the same as the modification form (with all its controls and values) but that the user cannot modify them?
I thank you for helping me.

From the UX point of view it's a really bad idea to have a form looking like ready to be edited, but actually cannot be.

But if you really must, you can have a custom details link in list settings. There you could refer to form view with some extra url parameter e.g. like &myview=detail

And then, if myview=detail, you can disable the elements with element javascript or in form_xx.js with some js/jQuery. Or set pointerevents to none for the whole fieldset of the group. If you need detailed info for disabling / setting elements to readonly with JQuery, Stackoverflow is your best friend.

As this is all done in front-end, more savvy users can bypass this. So if you want to make sure noone changes the form values, you can have form php plugin where you confirm that $origData is the same as $data.

Thanks!!

As this is all done in front-end, more savvy users can bypass this. So if you want to make sure noone changes the form values, you can have form php plugin where you confirm that $origData is the same as $data.

Wouldn't it be enough to hide the Save button? Or the user could show it too ...

Anyway you're right, maybe it would be a better idea to make a more attractive custom detail template..., right?

Hiding the submit button would also not be enough if some more IT-savvy person with bad intensions would like to change/submit the form. It would still be quite easy to submit.

Anyway you're right, maybe it would be a better idea to make a more attractive custom detail template..., right?
I agree :)

...the checkboxes do not display the possible options (only the selected ones are displayed)...
This is how Fabrik is showing "selectable" elements in readonly view (list, details, elements with only read access etc.) and I found no way to overcome this easily (Does anybody?)

This is how Fabrik is showing "selectable" elements in readonly view (list, details, elements with only read access etc.) and I found no way to overcome this easily (Does anybody?)
There is probably no easy way, so re-styling the form template (elements) to not look like editable, disabling selections with js and comparing $origData and $data in form php plugin would probably be by far the easiest way.

I think that the best thing would be for all possible values to be shown and only those selected by the user to be marked. If not, you don't know the possible options...

Of course, the user cannot modify any field. It is in read-only mode.

This would be an example display screen (not update). (It's a desktop application):

visualization form.png

What was done with Fabrik:

Update form:
update form.png

Visualization form:
visual form.png

The user who only has access to the display form does not see the complete information. Can't get an idea of the possible values ...

As I said: this is not how Fabrik is doing it and it's not like it is stored in the database.
And it is no general solution to show all options, there may be hundreds (espacially if you use dbjoins).

So if you need the "form" view look you should try @juuser's solution

FWIW, for a results page (= Fabrik Details page), I'm with @juuser: most horrid user experience ever.

I agree with you, lousyfool, I don't like the idea either ... What I would like is for the display form to be more beautiful than it is now and give an idea of the possible values it can have (except in dbjoins, of course).

I will try with a custom template.

Thank you all for your help!!!

What I would like is for the display form to be more beautiful than it is now and give an idea of the possible values it can have (except in dbjoins, of course).

I'm now getting confused what you could mean by "display form". By definition, Fabrik uses "form", "list" and "details" as far as relevant here. I thought all the time you're talking "details".

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," as they say. However, for any form, list and the respective details pages a custom Fabrik template can be coded and used, just as per your needs and as mentioned here above and described in the Wiki.

You can close this thread in the upper right of this page.

I'm now getting confused what you could mean by "display form". By definition, Fabrik uses "form", "list" and "details" as far as relevant here. I thought all the time you're talking "details".
Yes, I'm talking "details"

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," as they say. However, for any form, list and the respective details pages a custom Fabrik template can be coded and used, just as per your needs and as mentioned here above and described in the Wiki.
I'll do that

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back