• Hello Fabrik Community

Fabrik is now in the hands of the development team that brought you Fabrik for Joomla 4. We have recently transitioned the Fabrik site over to a new server and are busy trying to clean it up. We have upgraded the site to Joomla 4 and are running the latest version of Fabrik 4. We have also upgraded the Xenforo forum software to the latest version. Many of the widgets you might have been used to on the forum are no longer operational, many abandoned by the developers. We hope to bring back some of the important ones as we have time.

Exciting times to be sure.

The Fabrik 4.0 Official release is now available. In addition, the Fabrik codebase is now available in a public repository. See the notices about these in the announcements section

We wish to shout out a very big Thank You to all of you who have made donations. They have really helped. But we can always use more...wink..wink..

Also a big Thank You to those of you who have been assisting others in the forum. This takes a very big burden off of us as we work on bugs, the website and the future of Fabrik.

Joining Lists

bespokeappstt

Hubstaff freelancer
If I have 3 list and the only common element is a customer name. How do I create a list that will have all 3 list joined and grouped by Customer Name?

In Fabrik joins one of the join columns must be a Primary key.

So it is highly recommended you make some data restructuring in your tables like having separate Customers table and in other tables dbjoin elements referring to Customers table id element.

That's good news. I do have a central customer list and all customers in any other list pulls from a dbjoin. Hopefully implementing the actual join is not complicated.

Fabrik joins are recommended in most cases as mysql views are generally considered as read-only although with some exceptions.

Well yes, the data in the view in this case is to be used only for viewing. It was intended to be used with visualizations. So it's really 'read only' data. Should I use it?

In normal cases I always use list joins which is much more straightforward (for me). If it's only read-only and you feel comfortable with mysql views, then you can of course use them.

Okay, suppose I want to create a 'joined' list but I want this to be a separate list. So I have list A and list B. I want the look of those lists and their form layout to remain as is, unchanged. But I want to create a new list C which will be list A joined to list B. Can I do that? Looking at the wiki here https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/list-joins/ . It looks as though you're modifying the original list so the list view changes. I want to create a brand new list that comprises of two previous list. How do I do that?

In normal cases I always use list joins which is much more straightforward (for me). If it's only read-only and you feel comfortable with mysql views, then you can of course use them.
bumped into a little issue that i'd rather not deal with right now. The Fabrik dbjoin that renders as a checkbox, those values are not showing up on mysql backend, at least using the phpmyadmin. I figure it's a Fabrik thing and I'll avoid it for now if I can get what I want from Fabrik. Thus the new question.

In the phpmyadmin the Fabrik dbjoins look like:
upload_2021-9-15_15-47-16.png

That is for the column 'serial' in the table rad_rentals which is the list rad_rentals in Fabrik. A normal select statement
Code:
SELECT * FROM `rad_rentals`
shows 'serial' as null
upload_2021-9-15_15-50-45.png
Just mentioning it in case someone knows how to pluck out the data. But my main question still stands. Can I create a new and separate list from joining two lists?

As for multi-select dbjoins such as checkboxes and multi-select dropdowns: correct, Fabrik leaves the cell in the "main table" empty, but creates a new "repeat" table where the values are stored.

Okay, suppose I want to create a 'joined' list but I want this to be a separate list. So I have list A and list B. I want the look of those lists and their form layout to remain as is, unchanged. But I want to create a new list C which will be list A joined to list B. Can I do that? Looking at the wiki here https://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/list-joins/ . It looks as though you're modifying the original list so the list view changes. I want to create a brand new list that comprises of two previous list. How do I do that?
You don't want or need a "brand-new" list (from scratch and without any data).

Instead, copy e.g. list A, then use a list join (as per Wiki link you provided). This "copy of A joined with B" is just as good as the list C you're imagining.

You don't want or need a "brand-new" list (from scratch and without any data).

Instead, copy e.g. list A, then use a list join (as per Wiki link you provided). This "copy of A joined with B" is just as good as the list C you're imagining.
Yes please. I would like to create a separate list, called C and the data in C is joined data of A and B. So I want to join list A and list B but as a new list.

Like lousyfool said, copy the list A and join list B to a newly copied list. For that, in the backend check list A and then press Copy button above.

If you create a new list and point it to the same db table, you will lose some element settings. So use the "copy" method instead.

Last edited:
I'm going the way of the mysql View on the back end. Closing this for now. I like to know all sides so I asked all the questions.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back