[SOLVED (at the moment)] Compatibility issues.

F.schettino

Italian
I am developing the new site for a non-profit association (no so much money...:( ).

Usualy I use Chrome, but I tried to tests the first forms developed using Firefox and IE.
I discovered that JavaScript doesn't work in a lot of Fabrik forms (I already knew that Fabrik forms are very slow with IE).

Are these only my problems? There is something that I wrong?

I red that you are working on the new version 4.
Are confident to solve compatibility problems?

Thank you.

Can you be more specific? What JS calls (and are they really JS or mootools/jquery)? What versions of the software are you using (browsers, Joomla, Fabrik, js libraries, etc)? What template(s) and extensions are being used?

I am making EXTENSIVE use of JS, mootools, and jquery in a single very complex application and while there have been a few minor hiccups along the way and IE is generally about 5x slower than the others... I have yet to find anything I could not get working in any browser.Many of the "problems" are often due to compatibility issues (extension 1 loads version x of a library and extension 2 loads version y or something like that). Most browser today also have a way to help debug JS (usually accessed via F12).

So while it can tke some time and digging to isolate issues... aside from issues directly caused by Fabrik... there is not much Fabrik can do about the others. It is not optimal that Fabrik is still based largely on mootools (this is mostly what will be changing in the future), but even that can be worked around just like compatibility issues with any other tools or libraries.

Also on a semi-related note and nothing at all to do with Fabrik itself... many browser/version require special coding to allow for proper display of page elements that can sometimes appear as JS related issues. You may see things like:

Code:
<?php if ($browser == "ie9") { ?>
<link href="<?php echo $directory_path ?>/css/IE9.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"  />
<?php } ?>

... and some good templates provide these, but lack of these can also cause some issues. Web development can be complicated stuff no matter what you are using or how you are slicing it ;)

I've run across all sorts of cross-browser compatibility issues and javascript errors.

A few things to check...
Could a module or plugin(s) you are using be loading another instance (different version) of jQuery? Disable that in the module configuration if you can.

Some issues can come with using JQuery-UI. By default Joomla loads a script called 'jquery.ui.core.min.js' rather than 'jquery.ui.min.js' - so if any 3rd party extension includes JQuery functions from 'jquery.ui.min.js' then you could have issues.
I use the "jQuery Easy" plugin, with much success, to assure everything is using the same JQuery and JQuery-UI scripts. If you use that, load both JQuery and JQuery-UI with that plugin and try/configure it using different versions of JQuery and/or JQuery-UI to see if the 'issue' goes away.

Some other conflicts I've come across have had to do with using JCE Editor (or JCE MediaBox). For example, what they use for pop-ups may conflict with other lightbox/colorbox scripts. To debug something like that, try disabling anything that is using popups or animation on the page with the problem. Then once you identify the offensive module or plugin, see if there are other display options for setting the display of the module/plugin that will work without error.

For example, on pages that included another 3rd party image slider/animation module, I was unable to use the NoNumber {modal} plugin for displaying a menu link in a popup. (That {modal} popup was corrupted - but only on the page where the other animated module (using colorbox) was published.). I switched to using 'bootstrap' rather than 'colorbox' for the popup in the NoNumber Modal plugin configuration and that problem went away.

It's always something.;)

Sorry for my bad English. :oops:

Thank you for your replay, genyded and Bauer.
Excuse me if I say after so many days:oops:, but I have been away from home.

I am very pleased with what you said, that these are problems that can be easily solved.
These compatibility issues (standards are not standard :confused: ) are very strange to me: I have many years of experience in software development with Access, SQLServer, MySQL,... but not web sites.
I'm learning PHP, JS, Ajax using Fabrik; some months ago I did not know anything at all, now I am able to do what I need. :D
I wonder: would not have had any problems if I used .net / asp / ...?

Going back to the topic, I solved my first issue compatibility with a "trick"; I hope that I will succeed with future problems ...

Again thank you; I can ask for help in the future?

Do you why I get the error "Please specify a view in your fabrik {} code"?

Another compatibility problem with Safari: OnBlur doesn't work!

Ho can I solve???
Don't use Safari.:D (Sorry, I couldn't pass that up.)
But seriously, throughout it's history Safari has never held more than 4.5% of the market share. Today it's at 3.6. Why struggle to please every browser on the market? http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Or you can always write you own custom javascript/JQuery file that can be included in specific lists, forms, or details. http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/javascript/

Personally I like writing a javascript file for my forms rather than messing with the element javascript configuration in fabrik. There you can specify your own functions for any events in the form - maybe try using 'focusout' instead?

Hi, Bauer.
"Don't use Safari" :D:D:D

I don't use Safari.
I am part of the half of the world who does not like Apple (their policy); but I can not deny that their hardware and software products are very good, although expensive.
I installed Safari for testing and I have found that it is fast, even running JS, as opposed to IE.

"Why struggle to please every browser on the market?"; my problem is that a lot of users of the site are not so ... experts and I cannot trust that they installed Chrome or Firefox. Unfortunately, I think that most of them use IE :)confused:) or Safari because the one or the other is pre-installed on their computer.

About the compatibility problem, I opened a new thread (http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/solved-onblur-of-file-upload-element-doesnt-work.39796/) with more details and after I solved by myself.

You have been very kind to answer me and I apologize to you and others I have wasted time :oops:

I am Italian (as you can see in my profile and understand by my bad English :(); are you American (USA)?

I am also having jquery issues.
URL:
http://bachpanglobal.com/modi/admissions/school-essentials.html

Where ever I have used Fabrik form module, there I am facing the menu dropdown problem.On contacting the template developer, he informed that it is caused by fabrik module.

The issue is:
When I hover at the min menu with drop downs, the drop down stucks there nd does not go back. It is happening on only those apges, where te form module is being used

I saw the issue, raunhar.
In this (your) case, the issue regards Chrome, not Safari.
I am not able to help you, sorry.

"On contacting the template developer, he informed that it is caused by fabrik module."
I have already heard this in other working environments: "It isn't my problem; it is caused by another"...

The basic question is: how many other problems will I meet? Will I be able to get around?
Or is it better for me to change development environment?

I chose Fabrik instead of others (Chronoforms, Breezing Forms , ...) because it seemed me better, more complete and easier to use without learn low level languages (html, php, JS); but I had to spend a lot of time not only to learn them (ok, it is not bad thing) but also to get around issues.

I don't care what extension you use. I can guarantee that they all have some 'issues' or bugs - and not ONE will always meet all your needs without some need of tweaking. That's just the nature of the beast. It took me years of trying out numerous form solutions before switching to fabrik - and despite my ongoing whines or occasional disappointments, it's still the best decision I ever made when it comes to Joomla development.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back