'cascading' multiple joins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeEmm

G'day all,

Not 100% sure if this is a bug or simply a design limitation.

I have been trying without success to set up a table that includes a one-to-many relationship with another table that itself includes a one-to-many relationship with a further table. The issue I am experiencing is that whilst the first join shows on the main form, the second 'cascading' join is absent.

By way of an explanation, here is an outline of what I am trying to do

I have 3 tables: Tasks | Steps | Tools.

Each Task can have multiple Steps
Each Step can use multiple Tools

I have set these up using a one-to-many relationship as per the tutorial.

Tasks is joined to Steps as follows - left JOIN steps ON tasks.id = steps.taskid
Steps is joined to Tools as follows - left JOIN tools ON steps.id = tools.stepid

If I view the Steps form I can see the option to add multiple tools, However, if I view the Task form, whilst I can see the option to add multiple steps, within each step there is no way to add any tools. This part simply does not display.

I've been searching through the forums but have been unable to find an answer.

Is what I am trying to achieve possible? If not, how are people dealing with handling similar data relationships?

Ideally I want to keep all data entry on the same form without having to browse to another page.

I have attached a couple of screen shots to help explain. First one simply shows the Steps form with the option to add additional Tools. The second one shows the Tasks form with where I would expect to see the option to add tools.

TIA

/DM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 3.27.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 3.27.49 PM.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 3.19.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-11 at 3.19.46 PM.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 281
Hi,

If I understand correctly you have something like "one repeatable group in another repeatable group" ?

You want to do something like :"add one task -> for this task add many steps -> for each step add many tools" ? all this in a single form?

Because I have the same scenario and I couldn?t find any solution, yet?.

Yes, exactly, a repeatable group within a repeatable group all in the same form. Unfortunately the users inputting the data are likely to input less accurate data across multiple forms or simply not add any at all.

I'm guessing that this is not currently possible, or there is something that I am missing.

I've been looking at alternatives, such as amalgamating the task data within the steps table so that I can remove the task table reducing the number of repeatable groups to just two, but it just doesn't flow right.

Another thing I have considered is having a link to a popup form within the steps group, but I haven't had a look at this yet.

I'm sure it would be trivial for the excellent coders here to add cascading groups but I'm sure that there are other features ahead in the queue.

Would be interested to hear what others have done to capture similar data.

/DM

Really hanging to get an answer on this as my development is stalled. Would be good to know if a repeatable group within a repeatable group is possible.

Devs?

TIA

/DM

a repeatable group within a repeatable group all in the same form.
This is not possible in Fabrik, we can't nest repeatable groups within themselves

-Rob

This is not possible in Fabrik, we can't nest repeatable groups within themselves

-Rob

Hello,

In this case how can we handle situations like this:

List A joined to list B joined to list C (all joins are one-to-many), 3 distinct group.

Is this possible to populate one field from the last group ( C ) with data from group B, before saving the form to database, using some PHP / javascript code?

A ?real life? example is : one class -> many students -> many courses

Thank you

Rob, thanks for the clarification.

Are there any plans to add this functionality?

Can I put in a feature request?

Regards

DM/

DeeEmm - not in Fabrik as it exists today, no. We have some long range plans (years) to build something from the ground up using a radically different approach, but the code as-is simply can't be hammered into shape to do nested repeated groups.

-- hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back