Copy list not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
S'OK, I found it.

So how was this one copied? With the "Save as Copy" whilst editing the list, or by selecting it from the main list of Lists and using the "Copy" button at the top?

-- hugh

OK, this time it was the AJAX upload element, which is an implicit join element. For some reason it seemed to have lost it's join configuration. I unlinked it, and it now works.

I have no clue why you get these problems! I copy lists just about every day, and don't get any of these problems.

-- hugh

OK, this time it was the AJAX upload element, which is an implicit join element. For some reason it seemed to have lost it's join configuration. I unlinked it, and it now works.

I have no clue why you get these problems! I copy lists just about every day, and don't get any of these problems.

-- hugh
Thank you. I don't know what I do different... What I found out is that when I copy the elements they are assigned to all kind of groups except the correct ones. Could it be a problem that I created new groups with every list copy?

Do I have to do some adjustments in order to use the upload element the same way as in all other lists?

What do you mean by copying elements?

No, that upload should work fine, it just won't inherit any changes you make to it's parent.

-- hugh

As you you have seen I have about five times a copy of a list. I always copied the structure and then added aditional fields/elements where I needed them. Since I used the copy the new elements were created for all lists. This is just great, the problem is just, that these copied child elements are assigned to just one random group. Please have a look at the following image
copied elements.JPG

Look at id 311 for example. I created this element which is in the group Abrechnungen_Abzuege_Termine. All the other elements where then created automatically. As you can see 313 was put into the group Abrechnungen_Quittungen_Firmenkurse. 612 was put into Abrechnungen_Bemerkungen (hugh). The fields are just copied into one of the groups of this list. I didn't find out how the groups are chosen. To fix it I would have to break the parent/child relationship for all these elements. Since I don't need them everywhere I left them the way they are.

During the copy process I renamed for example the group Abrechnungen_Abzuege_Termine in Abrechnungen_Abzuege_Kleidersammlung. All the fields that existed at that time were assigned correct. But adding new elements later on created the problems above. I hope my explanation is understandable...

Other point
Now I have about 500 elements. What do I do with the elemtents I don't need for a list? I unpublished them at the moment. Am I supposed to delete the ones I don't need or just leave them?

Thanks

The problem is that we can't really track group memberships from child to parent, especially when creating new elements. It's something we may do one day, but at the moment, when adding an element on a copy, it's going to get added to the first group we find on each other copy (or the parent). The problem being that each copy can have entirely different group structures. You might create a group on one copy that doesn't exist on others.

The best way I've found to approach this is to have a single "master copy of your list, which you don't actually use for anything other than copying. And rather than adding elements on copies, add them on the parent.

Elements or groups you don't need on a given copy, just unpublish.

-- hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back