Form plugins mixing up

davez

I have an issue that's been plaguing me for sometime. It was a problem in 2.0 and is still an issue with 3.0. On one of my forms I have four plugins on one form: php, email, and two redirects. When I save the form (sometimes not all the time) the plugin parameters get mixed up and they don't save properly. As a result, the php is not processed or the redirects don't work. I haven't been able to pin down any rhyme or reason. In the past this happened only in Firefox, so I had to open IE to save that particular form. But now it seems to happen in IE also.

I've gone so far as to completely clear the params column from that database row to start over. I've also tried to just simply delete all the plugins and and reenter them. It doesn't happen on all my forms, just ones with multiple plugins.

Any ideas?

Does sound like an issue that was fixed a while back. Try the latest github on a sandbox (test site).

-- hugh

I had been updating regularly over the past couple of weeks because we were migrating the site to 3.0. I did notice how you prevented a save before it the page was fully loaded, but gosh-dernit, I just can't get the pickup to misbehave again. It was problematic this morning, but the version I was running only about one week old. I'll reopen this thread if it happens again.

Thanks guys!

It still looks like it's happening. I just updated to the latest github and it's scrambling the plugin params. But I think I've pinpointed when it happens. This time I can reproduce the error.

I have an email and redirect plugin connected to my form.

Here's the param content before the scramble:

{"outro":"","reset_button":"0","reset_button_label":"Reset","copy_button":"0","copy_button_label":"Save as a copy","goback_button":"1","goback_button_label":"Go back","apply_button":"0","apply_button_label":"Apply","delete_button":"0","delete_button_label":"Delete","submit_button":"1","submit_button_label":"Sign-up","submit_on_enter":"0","ajax_validations":"0","submit-success-msg":"Thank you for signing up for our November 28th Webinar. We will send you more information soon.","suppress_msgs":"0","spoof_check":"1","multipage_save":"0","note":"","pdf_template":"admin","admin_form_template":"","admin_details_template":"","show-title":"1","show-title-in-detail-view":"1","print":"","email":"","pdf":"","show-referring-table-releated-data":"0","tiplocation":"tip","process-jplugins":"2","cck_category":"22","plugin_state":["1","1"],"jump_page":["\/"],"append_jump_url":["0"],"thanks_message":[""],"save_insession":["0"],"redirect_conditon":[""],"redirect_content_reset_form":["1"],"redirect_content_how":["popup"],"redirect_content_popup_width":[""],"redirect_content_popup_height":[""],"redirect_content_popup_x_offset":[""],"redirect_content_popup_y_offset":[""],"redirect_content_popup_title":[""],"email_to":{"1":""},"email_to_eval":{"1":""},"to_group":{"1":["7","8"]},"email_from":{"1":"info@handsontheland.org"},"email_subject":{"1":"Webinar Sign-up Form"},"email_template":{"1":"-1"},"email_template_content":{"1":""},"email_attach_type":{"1":""},"email_attach_eval":{"1":""},"email_conditon":{"1":""},"plugins":["redirect","email"],"plugin_locations":["front","front"],"plugin_events":["new","new"]}

Here's the content after the scramble:

{"outro":"","reset_button":"0","reset_button_label":"Reset","copy_button":"0","copy_button_label":"Save as a copy","goback_button":"1","goback_button_label":"Go back","apply_button":"0","apply_button_label":"Apply","delete_button":"0","delete_button_label":"Delete","submit_button":"1","submit_button_label":"Sign-up","submit_on_enter":"0","ajax_validations":"0","submit-success-msg":"Thank you for signing up for our November 28th Webinar. We will send you more information soon.","suppress_msgs":"0","spoof_check":"1","multipage_save":"0","note":"","pdf_template":"admin","admin_form_template":"","admin_details_template":"","show-title":"1","show-title-in-detail-view":"1","print":"","email":"","pdf":"","show-referring-table-releated-data":"0","tiplocation":"tip","process-jplugins":"2","cck_category":"22","plugin_state":["1","1"],"jump_page":{"1":"not found!"},"thanks_message":{"1":"not found!"},"redirect_conditon":{"1":"not found!"},"redirect_content_how":{"1":"popup"},"redirect_content_popup_width":{"1":"not found!"},"redirect_content_popup_height":{"1":"not found!"},"redirect_content_popup_x_offset":{"1":"not found!"},"redirect_content_popup_y_offset":{"1":"not found!"},"redirect_content_popup_title":{"1":"not found!"},"plugins":["redirect","email"],"plugin_locations":["front","front"],"plugin_events":["new","new"]}

I think it happens when you click Save on the form and stay on the form page, rather than Save and Close. Then if you click Save or Save and Close a second time, it saves the scrambled (or unloaded) form plugin parameter content.

OK, I'll see if I can replicate that.

Do you see any JavaScript errors at any point during your saving and page reloading?

-- hugh

I still can't replicate this.

I added a redirect and an email plugin to a test form, and have done about a dozen Saves in a row, no loss of data.

If I click Save too quickly as the page is reloading, I get the "Please wait - still loading" warning, which is what we put in there a few months ago to prevent the situation where forms were being saved before the AJAX loading process had completed, which would cause loss of param data, as each plugin's params are actually set up through AJAX calls as the page is loading.

The only way I can get any further with this is if you can catch me on Skype, and we can look at your site together.

-- hugh

I just got it to happen again, but it took clicking Save twice (staying on the form each time). I didn't get any Javascript errors. My Skype is davezel if you want to try me. I know how to prevent it from happening now, so that certainly helps (check the plugins to make sure they have loaded properly before clicking Save or Save and Close).

OK, I sent a contact.

So, do you get an alert warning you that the page hasn't finished loading if you hit Save the instant the page starts reloading?

-- hugh

But it does happen even if you're not adding an additional email. I can reproduce the error by pressing save on the form and staying on the page (not save and close). It seems that I must press Save twice before the plugin fields are improperly loaded.

I can replicate it on your site, but still can't provoke this on my server, or any other server I use, and nobody else seems to have this issue. So I'm kind of at a loss.

I'll take another look at your site when I get a few minutes. But I've got a feeling it's going to be some subtle issue to do with your exact server setup, rather than Fabrik itself.

-- hugh

Okay. Maybe it's because I'm running php5.2.17! I'm running on a bit of an older setup. I wonder if I'm missing a php module or something. In any case, I'll be working to get the server upgraded soon. Don't worry about it.

OK, well lets punt until you are on the new server. If it still happens, I'll take another look. But I have spent several hours on your site trying to work out what the issue is, so far with no luck, and not even a clue as to where to look. And in my experience, if I can't even find a single solitary clue in two hours, chasing a very specific bug, that only happens to one person, that i can't duplicate here ... then it's almost certainly something very subtle in their server setup, and I probably won't find it in 20 hours.

It's one of those things I'll either just stumble on the answer, or wake up knowing it one day ... or it'll suddenly go away after an upgrade or a server move.

-- hugh

I'm digging deeper here...

FYI, I am presently managing 3 sites with Fabrik 3.0 installs on Joomla 2.5.7. Two of them are doing the plugin switcharoo/scramble thing.

I don't want you to waste any more time on me. But I'm going to document things in here, in case the lights go on for some one.

Attached is a pdf comparing php configurations.
View attachment plugin-failure.pdf

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back