How to add buttons or icons to a list ?

Incremental

Hi,
I'd like to perform actions (by administrator) on lists items.
By default, there are Edit, View, Delete, but I would like to execute more for specific PHP and DB tasks.

Is it possible to add buttons to the list 'tooltips' or buttons ?
Does it have to be done through a specific template or there is a simplier (and faster) way ?
Thanks
Regards

Sorry for this stupid post, I found the solution with List PHP Plugin.
I will complete the wiki, cause it's not explicit... and lacks of images and samples

Fabric rocks !

You're welcome !
Documentation I think is a major part in a project. Fabrik is I think the best CCK, but it's lack of doc and tutorials deserves it. It's learning curve is long and the forum is full of identical and basic questions (like mines).

To return to this plugin, it's name could be more explicit ( "PHP button" ? ) ;)

I'm working on the tutorials today, hoping to get them rebuilt for 3.1 this week. One of those things I've been trying to find time for, for ... well, a couple of years! But it's a big chunk of work, and I always seem to end up getting swamped with other essential work, like support. But I'm finally going to bite the bullet, take the phone of the hook, set Skype to DND, and neglect the forums for a few days while I rebuild them.

We've also got a few users who are starting to really help out with the Wiki, which is a blessing. And now we've migrated from the separate MediaWiki app to the XenCarta wiki, fully integrated with the forums, such that they get included in regular searches, and don't require a separate account to log in to, I think the Wiki will rapidly improve.

As for the plugin name ... yeah, probably ...

-- hugh

Thanks cheesegrits !
Don't you think plugins documentations should have a standard structure, like :
  • Description
  • Options (with at least a picture)
  • In and Out parameters (placeholders, get & set form or list elements, return status, ...)
  • Typical parameters (Eval default, Conditions, ...)
  • Typical problems encountered (miss-usage, bugs)
  • Samples (results with pictures)
  • Possible tutorials of the main site, if they are not moved here
It's a structure, with the first two mandatory.
For others, with time and contributors, it is a 'roadmap' to be completed....

Just another question that I already posted on another place :
as I'm starting again with Fabrik, on a simple project, without success (annoying bugs in 3.0.8 due to branch fusion with 3.1), do you think I should go now on 3.1 to restart my project ?
P.S. : I'm still on Joomla 2.5 because hosting MySQL < 5.1
Thanks

I think the structure depends somewhat on the plugin itself. Some may need lots of examples of how to use it whilst others are self explanatory, but yes the first two would be mandatory for sure.

P.S. : I'm still on Joomla 2.5 because hosting MySQL < 3.1

Do you really mean mySQL < 3.1 ?
Joomla 2.5 has a minimum requirement of mySQL 5.0.4 http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

If you really are stuck with a host that doesn't allow for updates of core things like mySQL / PHP my first thought would be to move hosts. Then to use Fabrik 3.1 and joomla 3.1

With Joomla 2.5 and Fabrik 3.0.8 I'm not sure what annoying bugs you have experienced with this combination, as there has been very little back porting of anything from 3.1 to 3.08 - its more the inverse where bug fixes in 3.0.8 make their way into 3.1

Thank you rob for your answer.
1) For documentation, I was meaning that a complete identical structure is better, even if for some plugins, topics are 'NA' or do not need samples. (it's also a roadmap for people completing the wiki)
Today, even for senior developpers (like me : C, C++, C#, ...) it's really hard to get into Fabrik, because you don't see clearly :
  • for what, some objects are really intended to,
  • the logic of Fabrik
I'm really believing Fabrik is the killing CCK, but since I watch it for 2 years, I didn't get concrete results, compared to regular Joomla Components !
A great documentation topic would be : an 'application life cycle' explaining (ex : for your contact sample), all the logical steps :
  • database design / List & Elements
  • plugins logic and IN/OUT parameters, PHP specific treatments
  • Forms
  • How to have contextual form elements
  • How to template
With a such 'roadmap' everybody should then understand how to adapt it to its needs.
I'm sorry, but today I'm still in the fog and ask stupid basic questions in forums, as I don't know the best way to implement things (Fabrik is rich)...

2) For MySQL, I was meaning 5.1 needed by Joomla 3. (I edit it in my posts)
My problem is that my hoster has updates that works only on their original distribution. Unix experts advised me to stay like this, as I do not want to spent my time on Unix administration. As I'm alone on my projects, I want to focus on web and Joomla.
And soon my hoster will have a new version, so I wait (and Joomla 3 is not too mature)...

3) For my J2.5/F3.0.8 problems, I'm really stucked with this one :
http://www.fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/return-pb-in-php-validation-plugin.35340/

Regards

A great documentation topic would be : an 'application life cycle' explaining
Have you looked at the video on the homepage? That's fairly good at introducing Fabrik.

We're working on a new set of tutorials for Fabrik 3.1 which may help.

database design / List & Elements
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/getting-started/ - If there are sections here you feel could be improved can you either add where you feel things could be clearer, or ask if there are sections missing that you think we should add.

plugins logic and IN/OUT parameters, PHP specific treatments
Not sure what you mean here at all. What are IN/OUT parameters? Are you talking about the plugin options? In general the hover text tries to be as explanatory as possible and we are continually updating/improving the wiki. Really if there is something specific you don't understand then I can answer that and add it to the wiki, but a general statement doesn't help me pin-point where/what it is you find difficult to understand.

Well what is it that you need explaining exactly? :)

How to template
http://www.fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/form-and-details-templates/

the best way
Well the issue here I think is that there is no general 'best way'. Each project has its own requirement and these requirements then affect what the 'best way' is.

For my J2.5/F3.0.8 problems, I'm really stucked with this one :
Hugh proposed to look at your site but you haven't given him access so its not possible for us to help the way things stand. We need server access to be able to debug custom PHP code

Hi Rob,
thanks for your answer. I do not want to create a 'series', but I have more explanations.
Have you looked at the video on the homepage? That's fairly good at introducing Fabrik.
We're working on a new set of tutorials for Fabrik 3.1 which may help.
Video is nice, but it's an introduction on a few features, for experienced people, not a guide about conception...
I speak more about guidelines, not technic involving.
database design / List & Elements
I mean solving this kind of questions :
http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?threads/conception-advice.35370/
plugins logic and IN/OUT parameters, PHP specific treatments
I was meaning that wiki documents the 'clickable' parameters of each plugin or element, but Fabrik has a great power with Eval code and Return code (PHP plugin), but there's not too much about a use case like :
  • retreiving info from a form or a database
  • modify the form after submission and before recording, or modify data somewhere
Email plugin is a good use-case but something in 'Getting started' would be nice. (I will contribute soon for Wiki, when I'll be more experimented...)

Hovers are a very nice thing, but sometimes you are wondering "is it the real approach". Wiki should complete that. As not native english, I think that more details would help...
It's linked with the preceeding topic as I do not clearly understand the list (and form) duplication necessity
Templating
I understand what it is. The wiki is directly technical about the subject (fine !) but it would be nice to have some samples (to see Fabrik power) and maybe to answer to the topic I linked.
the best way
I was thinking also to performance. Maybe an approach is more powerfull ???
direct PHP coding vs. Fabrik plugins ???

About your support :
  • is Hugh cheesegrits ?
  • how to give Fabrik these informations ?
    I have set some in my profile 'Personal details', but I'm wondering if it's going public or not ?
    I should also give you admin login/pwd. Does it have to be done through a personal conversation ?
Thanks

database design / List & Elements.....
Not sure what that question has to do with database design? But I tried to answer you there.

• modify the form after submission and before recording, or modify data somewhere
Depends when/where you are retrieving information. In what format you need it etc.
Modifiying - well that's in the form php plugin page already. I moved it into its own example so its easier to see.

• is Hugh cheesegrits ?
Yes, sorry they are one and the same.

• I have set some in my profile 'Personal details', but I'm wondering if it's going public or not ?
    I should also give you admin login/pwd. Does it have to be done through a personal conversation ?
[/quote]

Its best if you use http://fabrikar.com/you/my-sites/ this is only visible to me and Hugh and enables us access to your site info from within the thread itself.

Not sure what that question has to do with database design? But I tried to answer you there.

Depends when/where you are retrieving information. In what format you need it etc.
Modifiying - well that's in the form php plugin page already. I moved it into its own example so its easier to see.

• is Hugh cheesegrits ?

• I have set some in my profile 'Personal details', but I'm wondering if it's going public or not ?
[/quote]

Its best if you use http://fabrikar.com/you/my-sites/ this is only visible to me and Hugh and enables us access to your site info from within the thread itself.

• is Hugh cheesegrits ?

[/quote]

Thank you Rob,
I filled my profile.

OK of course not everything could be added for each plugin documentation.
I was just trying to tell Fabrik community that manipulating IN/OUT data was not obvious for Fabrik beginners, because there are only a few informations here and there.
When I'll be more experimented I'll contribute more to the wiki to add the topics I would have expected.
Regards

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back