To B3 or not to B3? That is the question.

Sophist

Sorry about the punny title, but I couldn't resist.

There has been some discussion about Bootstrap3 in this other thread. I have now had a look at how the BS3 grid works and I am seriously considering switching to the B3 based Purity III template because it looks like it would seriously improve the layout on different sized screens. But I don't want to create incompatibilities or support issues, and so have the following questions:

1. How good is the Fabrik capability (in https://github.com/Fabrik/Fabrik-Joomla-alt-layouts ) for defining the span classes for B3 layouts? A lot of the span definitions are in the Group model, not in layouts, so does providing new layouts do the grids comprehensively?

2. From other people's experiences, how likely am I to have other non-fabrik or fabrik issues with a BS3 template?

3. What is the support level for the code in in https://github.com/Fabrik/Fabrik-Joomla-alt-layouts ?

And as an aside, what should we (the Fabrik community) be recommending as a way forward (B2 / B3) if you want the best Fabrik layout and / or the best support?

Thanks.

The bs3 support is solid. Pretty much all the templates I use on my main dev installs are v3. Well, except the J! 4.0 one, which is bs4.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I am using Purity III with good experiences. Some minor issues arose but there are workarounds (mostly) available.

Having looked at the overrides, it looks like it trys to convert the BS2 spans into BS3 cols. I will have to try it out and see how good this is, but it seems to me that rather than continue to have a separate repo for BS3 support which needs to be manually integrated, it might make sense to build in functionality to Fabrik which either:

a. Works out which version of Bootstrap is used by the temnplate (BS2 for back end presumably); or

b. Uses a global Fabrik configuration switch to decide between BS2 and BS3

and produces native BS3 code. After all this will be needed for J4 support anyway.

Nope, absolutely not on the "works out which version of Bootstrap is used by the template". We tried that route a long time ago, it's a non-starter.

All framework related code goes in layouts, period. That's what layouts are for.

Things get easier in J! 4, as we can dump BS2 support, and go bs4 in the core. And the differences (at least grid-wise) between bs3 and bs4 are (structurally) very minor, so supporting bs3 templates for backward compat will be easy.

And bottom line, I'm not putting any more effort into J! 3 bs2/bs3 issues. All effort goes into J! 4. And J! 4 is (theoretically) framework agnostic, although the default templates are Bootstrap based. But non layout code should make no assumptions or have any knowledge of the presentation layer framework.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back