Very Very Slow in IE 7/8 and really bad in 9

ibex23

Hi we have a problem with internet explorer. the questionnaire we have built is really really slow in IE 7,8 and 9. Has anybody seen this and more importantly any solutions!

Here is a look.

http://dolphin-index.net/en/test
Password: demo

It's build using an element in a group so we have a question on each screen 70 screens. ( and a spidergraph system we built our selves).

The main problem is I think the DOM and the loading and with IE it's grinding to a halt!

A big thanks in Advance

Ooops, my bad, didn't see that 'demo' in your OP.

OK, seems like the issue is in the flexie.js lib, a third party lib we use to provide cross-browser support for certain UI elements.

I've seen this issue before, usually on sites with huge amounts of elements, and with certain J! site templates that (for reasons I've never quite worked out) require a lot of DOM element size calculations on the fly.

How many elements do you have on your form, total?

Can you try using on of the out-of-box J! templates, just to see if this issue is template related?

-- hugh

Cheers Hugh Will try some tests

there are 72 groups with an element in each group.

All the best
Steve

Ooops, my bad, didn't see that 'demo' in your OP.

OK, seems like the issue is in the flexie.js lib, a third party lib we use to provide cross-browser support for certain UI elements.

I've seen this issue before, usually on sites with huge amounts of elements, and with certain J! site templates that (for reasons I've never quite worked out) require a lot of DOM element size calculations on the fly.

How many elements do you have on your form, total?

Can you try using on of the out-of-box J! templates, just to see if this issue is template related?

-- hugh

Yeah, I think that many groups and radio buttons is simply going to overwhelm flexie.js.

I think the only real solution would be to clone a form template, and remove the flexible box model stuff. Which I think would involve removing all references to box-whatever attributes in the CSS.

This is just one of those issues inherent with Fabrik needing to be "all things to all people", where cross browser support for certain features runs in to problems. At the moment, IE does not properly implement the new flex-box CSS model, and requires the 3rd party flexie.js hack to do it, and as such runs in to performance issues when there are a lot of flexi-box attributes in use.

But do let me know if using an out-of-box J! template makes any difference.

-- hugh

I did a try (with ?template=atomic), it looks very strange in IE Development tools;

I don't really know about the Network tab but after loading flexiesjs it is loading all css and js once again, mootools-ext-min.js has a "waiting" of 46! seconds.

Yea we are seing this unfortunately this is a show stopper for us as most corporates use flippin IE

you could just try replacing 'media/com_fabrik/js/lib/flexiejs/flexie.js' with a blank file, as a temp work around

or use the labels-above form template which doesn't use the box-flex model

Hi Rob that's fixed it fine we are back on the road! IE is loading just a little slower now than crome. Thank you so much for the idea

Steve

I think I replied else where but just incase - in fabrik 3.0.x as of yesterday in the global admin settings there is an option to toggle on/off the loading of flexie.

In 3.1 we have stopped using this library

-Rob

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back