Tricky question before purchasing silver plan

covertlogic

Hello. It looks like fabrik is what we need to develop an application but i wanted to make sure it can do what we need it to. Then we will be purchasing a silver plan for any assistance we need, which should be minimal.

Core functionality of app:

Import existing database into fabrik elements - easy enough

Two of the fields of the imported database will be usernames and passwords we have generated. Joomla will authenticate to these and login as joomla user. (im assuming this shouldnt be too difficult)

Upon logging in we need fabrik to only display data contained with the same record that contains the user/password that the user is logged in as.

So say user Johndoe has the following items in database: item2, item7 and item9.

1. We provide Johndoe with his username and password.

2. Johndoe logs into joomla with provided credentials

3. When Johndoe views fabrik form it has an item section that ONLY displays item2, item7 and item9 (Because those are his items)

4. Each of these items link to a form that Johndoe can fill out for the specific item he selected. The item form is the same for every item, but the values the user inputs for each item need to be saved and linked to the correct item.

Is this possible with fabrik? if so on a difficulty level of 1-10 how difficult is it? Im fairly skilled in web but i rarely mess with databases or connecting them to users on this level.

Thanks!

For this to work, you'll have to import your generated users into the #__users table. You can use Fabrik for that but how have you generated the password? If you don't use the encoding method J! uses, the login won't work.

After that, you will need just another table with for each user its corresponding ID in relation of the items belonging to them so you can filter the acces of the table to only display the item(s) belonging to the connected user.

For this to work, you'll have to import your generated users into the #__users table.
Its a bit more complex even than that as there are a couple of tables that control the users groups as well. I did a quick google and this extension came up although I have never tested it:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/migration-a-conversion/users-import-a-export/5430

I think the rest sounds possible, although I'm not 100% clear exactly what you are describing :) Difficultly level around a 7 I guess. you may need snippets of php/js to get it all hanging together nicely, a silver subscription would give you some on server support time so we can guide you through anything like that which might crop up

-Rob

just saw the last comment, thanks for response. Actually userport is what i ended up going with for importing users so we are on same page with that. Basically the meat of the project is:

There is a large database containing name, email, and vehicle VIN numbers registered to each person. Some people have multiple vins registered.

We create joomla user accounts for every user in database and email them the login.

They login and fabrik displays the VINs that are registered to the user, whether its 1 or 4 of them.

Each VIN number links to the same vehicle information form, but upon submission the form is attached to that particular VIN. So if they have 3 VIN number registered, they will fill out the form 3 times, once for each VIN.

Im going to generate about 40,000 random alpha numeric strings for usernames, and same for passwords. Then hopefully use Userport to import and create user accounts. Then I will also add these random usernames/passwords to the database that im importing into fabrik.... taking care that they line up correctly so emails and names match in both useraccounts and fabrik. So Ill keep these two processes separate.

Then somehow Im hoping to use the username that user is currently logged in as to grab the corresponding data from fabrik, since the username in joomla is identical and corresponds to the correct data in fabrik. This is where im sure i will start needing assistance and enter into silver.

Fabrik is amazing though, great job. I dont think ill ever use anything else for form/db based projects.

If the usernames and passwords are actual Joomla usernames and password then you may not have to import them into Fabrik.

Fabrik has a user element which can be used to reference the logged in user. It does this accessing Joomlas user table itself. So you could use, as an example, to filter all VIN's registered to the person logged in.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back