CSV import problem

puntino

Joomla Version 2.5.7
Fabrik Version 3.0.6.2, latest github upgrade today
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
------------------------

trouble with CSV import. the source is some older visual address database. Export works fine, also import. one issue are the german umlaute. I can only work with ANSI code. all others destroy the umlaute or give some chinese or japanese characters. import also works fine with this code apart from the promlem described here.

As soon as I am calling a table entry in edit mode and the form pops up, a question mark is added to all fields that have been imported before any editing. the fields change from say: "name" to "name?".

If I change the contents of a field in edit mode, the question mark is gone and everything is OK. Neither the question mark nor any other additional character at the end of a string can be found in fields of the database nor in the exported CSV file. I therefore assume it is being added during import or in other words, fabrik is adding it.

I have tried to export and convert the data with all possible programs (EXCEL, Open Office, CSVeditor, Access) but could never change this behaviour. I have also tried all combinations of the import format but can just use Excel "format saved from Excel". The other formats either do not import at all, or the umlaute are missing.

As there are very many addresses, I would really hate it to change all the fields by hand. Import should be a simple standard process, shouldn't it?

Any suggestions where to start to overcome the problem?

I have no problem to import German umlaute.
The CSV file has to be UTF-8 coded which shouldn't have any problems with ?,?...

Try with OpenOffice
Speichern unter, check "Filtereinstellungen bearbeiten", "Speichern", select "Zeichensatz"=UTF-8

thx, troester. however, I've already tried this. The result when exporting from OpenOffice into a CSV file, using UTF-8 is:

L?ngenweg is beeing converted to Längeweg

and I have no problems importing the umlaute. They import fine. The problem is the question mark that appears. . .

I assume the question mark is some sort of field separator.
Do you know notepad++?

Your file should be Kodierung=UTF-8 (with displaying correct ?...)
and looking like
"id","element1","element2"
"1","?1","xxx"
"2","b2","yyy"
Maybe you can upload the first rows of your CSV file (rename to .txt)

thx troester. It worked. What puzzled me was the fact that when I opened the exported UTF-8 CSV with either OO or EXCEL, it would show the garbled umlaute, yet when importing it into fabrik, they import correctly.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back