Database as a parameter lists and forms

paolo.tateo

Since our multi-user system is getting bigger, with 6GB lists (but that could be 60 GB or 600 GB in not a long time), I decided to divide the personal data of different users on different database whose name contains {$my->id}. My idea is to use the same list / form / etc ... of fabrik, but it will connect to the database depending on the user that open that.

I believe that today it is not possible, but you think it is possible to evolve Fabrik in this regard.

If you do, I ask you a quotation of time and costs to accomplish this.

Thanks
Paolo

So something like a Fabrik connection with a placeholder {$my->id} in DB name, User name...?
Interesting approach to keep data from different users separated.

my first question would be if you had done speed tests to determine what actual speed gains you would get. A properly indexed db should still return records fairly fast. I don't know anything about your system but one db per user means no interaction between users is that right?

Hello Rob, yes, that's right, between users there is no interaction.

Now we do not have major performance problems (we just made ??some optimizations), but have separate databases it seemed like a good idea to run a system that I expect should grow a lot, both to be able to divide the work across multiple servers, to manage backup (not a huge backup, but different backups, one per customer), and also to manage the deletion of user data is no longer active (can be also do with one database, but if each user has a database, it seems easier).

For your information, the application runs more than 100 tables. I think it could be an excellent case study for Fabrik (without Fabrik I can not imagine how much more work would be needed).

bindCommerce is an online service that lets you synchronize multiple platforms for eCommerce: VirtueMart 1.1, VirtueMart 2.0, the italian invoicing software Danea Easyfatt, eBay, Amazon and Spartoo (they're going to add more).

Through a suitable interface, the user can view and edit all the data recorded on the database bindCommerce: products, categories, multiple associations between products and categories, attributes (eg size and color), enhancement of the attributes, price lists, price, suppliers, manufacturers, images, customers, orders.

The structure is natively multi-descriptive and multilingual, this means that for every product and every category you can manage different descriptions used in different contexts and in different languages.

There is a complete management HTML template and images, that allows you to create professional eBay listings.

All activities (including opening and closing listings on eBay) can be performed automatically scheduled when the products are sold out or become available again.

bindCommerce is certified "eBay Compatible Application".

... and by the way: thanks Fabrik!

I doubt very much we would have the time to do this.

I think you would be much better served looking at creating a load balanced MySQL cluster.

Do you have a good feel for how much of your database usage is read vs write? Typically, a "traditional" MySQL cluster is extremely good at handling usage that is mostly weighted towards reading rather than writing data. The reading can be transparently load balanced across almost any number of physical servers and databases, using traditional round robin techniques. Writing goes to one master, which the slaves then read changes from. Changes propogate quickly, usually within a second (or milleseconds, depending on the size of the cluster, the complexity of the tables, etc).

There are also "shard level" clusters which provide massive speed improvements on write heavy clustering, although I think that is a MySQL 7 thing, which probably wouldn't play well with Joomla / Fabrik. I don't know, I've never heard of anyone using the MySQL CGE (Carrier Grade Edition) with J!.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back