Deleting Fileupload Link and File

Hi there,

Although I broke my site I still have the main problem looming.

I am working on my online tender system and have table with 5 fileupload fields where a vendor must upload a specific piece of information.
e.g.
1. Tax Clearance Certificate
2. Letter of Good Standing
3. Unemployment Insurance Registration
etc

The scenario is if he upload a document into an incorrect field then he must delete it and if available load it into the correct field. For the integration into our other systems it is important that the field contains the correct information.

I have seen threads where you say it is not possible but could it not be done with an user_Ajax function called by a .js function call passing the field name to be cleared. Problem is I cannot fathom out how the Fileupload field is managed in the table as I managed to break my system trying to figure out a manual backend/cpanel workaround.

What would I have to clear to make it work.

I tried to put a Javascript routine on a button to update the field to " " but that did nothing ...when I viewed the record the uploaded file was still there....

I do not know If I am rambling but this could help other people maybe solve the same issue as well until this functionality could be developed in the core Fabrik

Some more thinking ,,, after reading some more,

Could there not be a default blank file that could be forced as the upload link, pointing the field to this "blank" if I cannot clear it?

I used to deal with Customs Import Export systems and one of the biggest problems was mismatched documents...

At the risk of sounding pompous you need to re-think the design of this part. You have no way of checking automatically that the vendor user has uploaded the correct piece of information to the correct place unless you are going the EDI route which is probably not happening.

This means someone - Purchasing department maybe - will need to check that the proper documents are uploaded and maybe verify some of the details.

If this is true, then allow the vendor to upload their documents in any order and store them as an array linked to your vendor table. When Purchasing check the details they can re-order the array to your preferred order at the same time as they flag the vendor record as complete.

If the vendor has an updated or corrected document they simply use the same upload process and purchasing revalidate them...

The main problem is we currently don't have a "delete" button for the simple (single) file upload method. You can upload a different file, which will replace an existing one, but we currently don't provide a way of just deleting an existing file. We will currently only delete files when you delete a row from a List which has upload elements you have enabled 'delete' for.

This is something we've been meaning to add for a long time, so I'll take a look at some options for doing this.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh. Hope you settle in ok :).

In the meanwhile although deleting records will be good I still stand by my 'strategy' advice ;-)

unvalidated uploads is asking for trouble imho...

Thanks Nick and Hugh,

I will still try a workaround.

Nick, I accept what you say but we have a specific scenario that we have debated the very issues you have raised but the system owner need to have it done "his way".

You do reach a point where the golden rule applies: " he who has the gold, makes the rules".

BUT!!! Regardless of whether i do it your way or my way I still need the ability to "cancel" an upload

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back