Email cloaking in detail view

kushiel

Running Fabrik 3.1.1 (GitHub) on Joomla 3.2.3

I have a form that displays email addresses in details view. I want these email addresses to be processed by Joomla's email cloaking plugin.

So, in the form options, I have "Process Joomla plug-ins" set to "Detail view only". Yet, the email addresses are not cloaked. I have also tried setting the option to "Detail & form view" and it still doesn't work.

I did a search through the forum and read that the Joomla cloaking plugin has caused a lot of problems in the past.

I searched through Fabrik files and found the following line in /components/com_fabrik/helpers/html.php
PHP:
$text .= '{emailcloak=off}';
If I comment out that line, the email cloaking plugin works. To test things out, I left this line commented out and then changed my form's "Process Joomla plug-ins" option to "No". I checked my form's detail view and the email address is no longer cloaked, as I expected.

I checked some of my other forms that are editable and contain email addresses, and they don't seem to have a problem with that line being commented out, as the email addresses are not cloaked which is what I want in that case.

So, my reason for posting is to get more information about how this works and to see if there are any drawbacks for me leaving that line commented out. It seems to work for me, but I imagine that it is in there for a reason, and I don't want to miss any unforeseen problems. I'd also rather not have to edit this Fabrik file as I may overwrite it in a future update and forget to edit it again. Thanks.

I'll see if I can find out why that was switched off. Maybe we can add it in as an option with a warning that it may mess things up! This at least gives you the choice.

The problem we were working round was that the J! email cloaking plugin will cloak addresses in form input fields, which is a Bad Thing <tm>.

A short term bandaid is for us to not turn cloaking off in detail view. I think that used to be the case, but we refactored some code a while back, and ended up applying that to detail and form view.

However, that will still leave issues like email addresses in form intro/outro, labels, and in list view (we have to uncloak there, for emails in things like element filters).

The long term answer is for us to apply some real intelligence to somehow preventing the J! plugin from replacing in form input fields. Which is not an trivial task.

Anyway, I'll apply that "don't turn off cloaking in detail view" bandaid in github now, and think about a better longer term solution.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back