Fresh Joomla and Fabrik no Link to table

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulffresh

Went to create my first list I noticed the dropdown is empty for Link to a Table. All Plugins enabled. I used the download link from github uploaded and used discover to install everything then enabled all plugins. This is a fresh install of Joomla 1.7 and Fabrik 3.0

Also by using the download link on github are we getting the latest version or do we need to have git on our desktop to grab the latest

Thanks
John

The download ZIP is a snapshot from a few days ago. You'll need to use git to grab the latest code. As soon as we get the time, we'll build a tutorial on the best way(s) to install and use git with github.

The "Link to table" list populates OK for me. Can you run in FF with Firebug enabled, have a look at the Console tab in Firebug after the List page loads. You should see an AJAX call fired off, for which the Response tab should show a JSON string with all the available tables. Let us know if that's empty, or contains some kind of error message, or anything other than a string that looks like ...

["","fab_junk","fab_main_test","qw4el_assets","qw4el_associations",....]

As a workaround, you can always create your first list/form by creating a new Form, enabling "record in database" and giving it a table name.

-- hugh

Hugh, gulfresh means the download link at github not on the site, so yes its the current version of the code that you are downloading. (Unless you choose to download a tag such as 3.0a)

Have you checked that the connection is correct?
Do you get any javascript errors on the page?

thanks
Rob

So at the github link https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik
I click download then download zip and I get this Fabrik_3.0a-18-gf372121 package.

Do I need to signup with github to get the non (3.0a) install packages?

Also Tried again same method Fresh Joomla 1.7 and above package with Discovery and I don't get any options to link to existing table.

Hugh, gulfresh means the download link at github not on the site, so yes its the current version of the code that you are downloading.

Ah! So the "Source" download buttons actually tarball / ZIP up the current head on the fly?

I'm still unfamiliar with the J! 1.7 installation process ... so is the ZIP as it comes out of git "installable", or do we still need to do some 1.5 style massaging of files and locations?

By "installable" I mean via the "upload and install" method. I'm assuming it'll work with the "unZIP, upload and discover" method?

-- hugh

Ah! So the "Source" download buttons actually tarball / ZIP up the current head on the fly?

I'm still unfamiliar with the J! 1.7 installation process ... so is the ZIP as it comes out of git "installable", or do we still need to do some 1.5 style massaging of files and locations?

By "installable" I mean via the "upload and install" method. I'm assuming it'll work with the "unZIP, upload and discover" method?

-- hugh
No can't use the J1.7 install process just discovery

yes as gulffresh says, its a zip of the repository, not the zip that the build file makes.

Do I need to signup with github to get the non (3.0a) install packages?
Any download from github is just a snap shot of either a tag or the current state of the repository. In all cases its not an installable zip, you need to use Joomla's discover feature.
Alternatively you can build the installable zip but running build.xml in ant.

We will only release official installable zips @ fabrikar.com/downloads.

@gulffresh Would you mind answering the questions I posted up there ^^
:

-thx
Rob

The "Link to table" list populates OK for me. Can you run in FF with Firebug enabled, have a look at the Console tab in Firebug after the List page loads. You should see an AJAX call fired off, for which the Response tab should show a JSON string with all the available tables. Let us know if that's empty, or contains some kind of error message, or anything other than a string that looks like ...

["","fab_junk","fab_main_test","qw4el_assets","qw4el_associations",....]

Just a reminder about this. Often the reason dropdowns don't populate on the backend is something like a PHP warning getting mixed in with the JSON response, which usually tells us enough to fix the problem.

So it'd help if you could do the Firebug thing I described, and let us know what the "response" to that AJAX call is (it'll be obvious what I mean when you look at Firebug's Console tab after loading that page).

-- hugh

yes as gulffresh says, its a zip of the repository, not the zip that the build file makes.

Any download from github is just a snap shot of either a tag or the current state of the repository. In all cases its not an installable zip, you need to use Joomla's discover feature.
Alternatively you can build the installable zip but running build.xml in ant.

We will only release official installable zips @ fabrikar.com/downloads.

@gulffresh Would you mind answering the questions I posted up there ^^
:

-thx
Rob
No javascript errors
I did check the connection and tested it
Strange thing
If I click save on a new list without filling out the label it will fail on the save but then the database connection to link to a existing list shows a list of tables but they are only tables created in Fabrik

Just a reminder about this. Often the reason dropdowns don't populate on the backend is something like a PHP warning getting mixed in with the JSON response, which usually tells us enough to fix the problem.

So it'd help if you could do the Firebug thing I described, and let us know what the "response" to that AJAX call is (it'll be obvious what I mean when you look at Firebug's Console tab after loading that page).

-- hugh

The response contains the tables in my database it just doesn't list them in the dropdown it's blank.

Problem Solved
I had originally tried on two occasions fresh installs of Joomla 1.7 and installing fabrik with discovery from github and enabling all plugins.

Tonight I tried Fresh Joomla 1.7 install and Fabrik 3.0 install zip from Fabrikar.com downloads and now I can see and use the link to existing table.

One suggestion. Make the Rows per page setting default to 10 instead of 0. I linked to a existing table. Tried to view data and got memory limit error because that setting was at 0 once changed to 10 all worked. The table I linked to contains 14,000 rows so I assume 0 was trying to display all rows at once?

Thanks John

EDIT - ignore this, we crossed in the post.

OK, I'll have to log in the backend on your site and take a look.

Can you PM me details (and bump this thread when you have), or find me on Skype ('cheesegrits').

-- hugh

One suggestion. Make the Rows per page setting default to 10 instead of 0. I linked to a existing table.
Yes, you're right that wasn't a good idea - it should be fixed now @github

-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back