Hide default option from drop down in details view

fanta00

I have drop down fields with first option "Please select" set to default, the field is not required, how can I set it to show nothing in details view if no option was chosen (so the default is set) - I don't want to see 'Please select' on my forms when nothing was chosen

I have some drop downs that are databasejoins, and some that are single fields.
I have nothing in my default box

Okay, so if you don't select anything, i.e leave it on the 'Please Select', when you view that record in details view it shows the 'Please Select'?

I can't replicate this using join dropdowns. If I leave a join dropdown unselected (i.e. on "Please Select") when submitting a form, in both list and details view it just displays as a blank value, it doesn't say "Please Select".

-- hugh

Ah, OK, I see what you are saying. With a dropdown element, yes, it will show whatever text you are using, as Fabrik as-is has no way of knowing if you are using a "please select" option, as far as we are concerned it's just another value / label.

Easiest way round that for now would be to use a database join instead. Just create a list for your dropdown options, where you add your option label as a field element in the new list, add a row in the new list for each option, create a join element on your original form, joining to the new list, using the 'id' (primary key) as the value, and the 'label' element as the label. Then set the "use please select" option on the join to Yes.

However, I will add a feature request for the dropdown element, for "Hide default", which would do what you want - in list and details display, if the value is the default value, just show blank space instead of the default label.

-- hugh

Code:
I have some drop downs that are databasejoins

So we are talking drop downs and not databasejoins! ???

plus one from me on that one....I need an empty option (as default, when exsisting DB entry is NULL)....
and I think DB joins would slow my already slow formload down a bit more....

Members online

No members online now.
Back