How to make a detailed view template?

As I understand there is a template for lists and forms respectively, but none for the detailed view - the form template is used instead.
I have used the custom form template (//very well documented) to show a detailed view of each of my products.
The structure is to show each groups, in consecutive order and then each element in the group by element-name.
(Please correct me if I?m wrong)
As the design of my detailed view do not follow a consecutive order, I use next/prev group to shuffle between the elements I want to show.
The disadvantage to this is when groups are rearranged, deleted or added ? I must alter my template accordingly.
Is it possible to make a detailed view template where group and element are called interconnected?

You can use f3.1. I have read somewhere that in f3.1 you can have separate form view and detailed view template.

The element objects are in $this->data as well as the group elements array, indexed by the element id. So $this->data['foo___bar'] is an object, where $this->data[foo___bar']->element is the element input markup, ->label is the label, etc.

So you should be able to use that to build a non-sequential template.

Note however that our JS sometimes relies on the DOM structure of the group wrapper, although that shouldn't be a problem in a detail view.

-- hugh

As I understand there is a template for lists and forms respectively, but none for the detailed view - the form template is used instead.
You can select different templates for form and details view. So in Fabrik3.0 just create your details template and put it into the ...components\com_fabrik\views\form\tmpl folder.

Hi troester,
Thanks! I've done this already and use the custom_contact template modified to my needs.
(Just don't get the idea to have a template folder for detailed views that points to forms?)

Hi cheesegrits, - sorry but I don't quite get it.
Can you provide me with an example on how to make this non-sequential?
My group is: PlanetsPride_Item (ID19)
My element is: PlanetsPride_Item___Description (ID363)

Present code (shuffle between groups):
<?php
$this->group = next($this->groups);
$this->elements = $this->group->elements;
?>
<?php
$this->element = $this->elements['Description'];
echo $this->loadTemplate('element');
?>
<?php
$this->group = prev($this->groups);
$this->elements = $this->group->elements;
?>
<?php
$this->element = . . . . . .etc

$this->groups is keyed on the group label I believe (poor choice now that I think about it but its not possible to change without breaking backwards compat) - so you can grab those by doing

PHP:
echo "<pre>";print_r(array_keys($this->groups));echo "</pre>;

that would dump out an array of the group keys, say :

Code:
array('My first group', 'my second group');

(Once you've made a note of that array you can remove/comment out the print_r statement from the template)

then to get the group:
PHP:
$myFirstGroup = $this->groups['My first group'];
$this->elements = $myFirstGroup->elements;
$this->element = $this->elements['Description'];
echo $this->loadTemplate('element');

rob - I think it's time we at least started moving towards a saner way of keying the groups. Even if we just provide a $this->groups_by_id, and don't use it for now.

You may recall that in 2.x I had to add some nasty defensive code to generate automatic names, if they didn't give a name in the group settings (it's not a required field), to avoid having blank array key(s). I think I also added a hack in 2.x to add a suffix if someone has the same name twice.

As you say, it's hard to fix, but I think if we at least create the $groups_by_id, as we move forward we can start modifying our templates to use it, as long as we retain the original $this->groups (by name), so old / custom templates continue to work.

Yay? Nay?

-- hugh

Thanks Rob,
For me as a first class student in PHP you managed to explain a solution that I could actually understand ? I tip my hat!
Thank you for your help.

I do agree though that the id should be the key and leave one the option to rename the group.

Back