Image folder choice

puntino

Hi

all my images are ready in one folder (/images/children), If the user wants to choose an image in the frontend, he is forced to choose first the folder "image", then the folder "children", then finally the image file. Apart from the 3-click-work he can easily end up in the wrong folder not to mention the layout of the folder choice which is somewhat unconventional to say the least.

What I want is just a list, pointing to the folder where the images are stored and no choice to change the folder. Whatever combination of the image options I choose, I never achieve this behaviour. How can I do this?

Fabrik version has just been updated on Dec. 12.

I believe there is a github issue open on this one. Set root folder option.

Replied using Tapatalk.

thx felix. Not sure whether I understand you right. I have updated from github yesterday before posting the issue.

I have just found this http://fabrikar.com/wiki/index.php/Image description so far, however this is old stuff and slightly different from what I see inside the current fabrik. I attached a picture of the options dialog.

I have also read the thread here: http://fabrikar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153997#post153997 but do not understand what to do to get the desired result. entering the path (images/children) in "Bild" did not bring the demanded result.

Attachments

• image options.jpg
    image options.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 153
Rather poor service here. The thread is now three weeks old. I should really appreciate to get an answer.

Its just a feature we had to remove for various gruesome reasons where various combinations of settings would result in various bugs. So currently its not possible to achieve what you are after with the plugin

As Rob says, this is something the image element used to do, in 2.x. But for a variety of reasons, it ended up being a lot of trouble.

Our eventual aim is to deprecate the image element, and make "select from existing files" an option under the "upload" element.

But for now ... they are what they are.

-- hugh

Thx very much for your answers Rob and Grithub. Sounds very much like an excuse to me though. Are you trying to convince me that having a drop down to choose a value from is less susceptible to trouble than a fixied variable?
If the path can be taken from a drop down it can also be taken from a variable. The dropdown starts always with the same fixed path and I cannot see any reason why this fixed path cannot be definded somewhere in the options.

various combinations of settings would result in various bugs
I agree that a variety of possibilities must not but can lead to various problems, however we would not have various combinations anymore but just one single value, wouldn't we? I used to learn: With less code we have less chances for bugs and I think there is no doubt that a dropdown is much more code than a fixed value.

Come on - where is your ambition?

puntino

If you'd care to modify and debug the code, it's there on github. Just send us a pull request, we'll test and merge it.

There are two of us, and a very large amount of code. We have to prioritize our work. You are the only person that has posted about this issue in a year. So it's low down the priority list.

We'd rather not spend the time working on a corner case issue for one person, when we fully intend to completely rewrite the code in question in the near future.

-- hugh

thx for your reply. It does not come as a surprise to learn that I am the only one in the world who is not happy with the current solution of the image choice. I have to accept your priority list. It is a misunderstanding, however, that I expected you to change the code according to my wishes. All I wanted you to do is giving me hints where to look at. You are familiar with the code and the file structure. I have to make myself familiar with it first which is time consuming. Hence I would appreciate it if you would let me know where I find the code in question. I'll then find my own way.

The source is in ...pluginsfabrik_element/image

If you want to share your solutions see http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?wiki/contribute-code/

I "think" the source folder field is missing in the form (because it's refereced in the code, Rob/Hugh?), so if you add
<field description="PLG_ELEMENT_IMAGE_ROOT_FOLDER_DESC" label="PLG_ELEMENT_IMAGE_ROOT_FOLDER_LABEL" name="selectImage_root_folder" type="field"/>

in ...pluginsfabrik_elementimageformsfields.xml
after
<field description="PLG_ELEMENT_IMAGE_PATH_DESC" label="PLG_ELEMENT_IMAGE_PATH_LABEL" name="imagepath" type="field"/>

and define anything in the Image (at least one character) it should do (only tested in a normal group, not repeatable...)

Apologies, I was having a Bad Hair Day when I wrote my last response.

Troester has indeed pointed you at the right places to start. Add selectImage_root_folder back in as a plugin setting in fields.xml, then find where we use it in the main image.php file.

We currently just rely on the default of just / or empty, when we call $params->get() for it.

As you can see, the code originally took the root folder into account. I can't remember exactly what issues we had with that, I just remember it becoming a pain in the backside.

But it should at east kinda sorta work by just adding the param back in to the XML. Then it's a case of working out why we ditched it.

-- hugh

Hi

puntino is not the only one asking this. There has been more threads on this topic.
I have three site under construction where the image element plays a important role. But it is too risky to implement and to difficult for users to find the right folder.
Before I started I checked two CCK's: Fabrik and Seblod.
For some other reasons I chose Fabrik even with the minimum possibilities of their image element. Seblod offers much much more.
But now -with no possibility to select a root folder for them- I have to reconsider my choise.
As I said before: a good working image element with options for storage location and even for resizing the images can make Fabrik a more desired CCK.

Isn't their a third party tool that can be put to work within the Fabrik forms?

please....

menno
I

Update from GitHub.
Setting e.g.
images/stories/food
as "Image" will use this default folder.

There are still some issues/warnings (you'll have to set J! error reporting to simple at the moment)

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back