Issue with multi-page form

JackGoa

Hi, it's my first time trying to get a multi-page form to work and I am running into an issue.

You can view the form here: www.affordablehomesa.co.za/index.php

I've tried switching multi-page on in various configurations and neither of them seem to work.

My buttons are on top of each other and the submit button is visible on the first page.

Filling in the info on the first page, then clicking 'next' just goes back to the first page, it does not move to the next page.

Running Joomla 3.4.8, Fabrik 3.4.2 updated from Github 5 minutes ago.

I've also added the bootstrap3 folder to templates/templatename/html/layout/com_fabrik and I am using the Helix3 framework.

Any advice? Hopefully something that can be fixed with CSS?

Can you try turning the validations off for the upload.

I have a feeling you may not be able to use upload validations with multipage. Just a hunch at this point, so try it.

-- hugh

I was looking at the exact same thing now. And you are spot on! I switched off the validation for the uploads and it took me to the next step. But what now? We need those details?

And what about the weird way the buttons are displaying? Is that a CSS issue? How do they normally display with a multi-page form?

Buttons are a css issue. Not sure how to handle the upload validation. Problem is that uploads only happen at form submit, and that doesn't happen when switching page. Will have a think. You might try AJAX upload.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Could you perhaps show me an example of what the buttons should look like, then I can fix the CSS?

AJAX upload? How would that solve the validation issue? I have never used that function. As far as I can tell it is to enable multiple uploads? Is there some special way I can configure it so it does validation? I see by default it works in html4 and 5, so should be fine for mobile phones and most modern browsers, right?

AJAX uploading is not tied to form submission, so I think validation may work as part of the multipage. I've not tried it though, so it's just a suggestion.

The buttons are just buttons. Plain HTML type=button. Your CSS is apply some whacky styling. Just use dev tools in your browser, figure out what is applying that style, and override it in a custom CSS.

-- hugh

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting?

Ok, how would the buttons normally display? next/prev next to each other with the submit button below them, with an opacity applied? Shouldn't the submit button rather not be visible until the last page?

You can figure that out by loading your form through a normal component link, on a menu item with something like Protostar assigned to it.

-- hugh

Aah! Ok. Shot! Wise old Fabrik Oracle! Never thought of that! :)

Thanks Hugh! Will post back once I hit success.

TBH, I've never used a multi-page form in a module position, and I've never used either a module position or a multi-page form in a Helix3 template.

So I know as much about this as you do, at this point. And I don't have the resources to test / figure it out in Community support. All I can do is suggest things you can try.

-- hugh

Have a good look at the Helix3 framework. I've built about 8 sites using their "master" template and none of the sites look even remotely the same.

You know way more than me! Can't attack it right this minute though. Wifey just got home ;)

Ok cool, I sorted out those buttons with CSS. I see what you mean with the AJAX uploads. It works, but it's not quite ideal the way it works. It's too confusing for the end user. It will say that it is a required field if no image is selected, which is cool, however, if you do select an image and click on next, it still says it's a required field, even though it does upload the file and then the user has to click "next" again to get it to submit. I think a lot of users won't think to click "next" again.

Is there no way to get past this? All I can think is that I need to add those fields to the second page. In this case it's also not quite ideal as I don't want users to get irritated when they get to the second page and only realise then that they need those documents.

*BTW, don't know if it's intentional or what, but the "Device Capture" option reverts to it's default setting when using Ajax Uploads, no matter what setting it's on.

I can't think of a way without surgery on the code. It might be possible to leverage the same "submit broker" we have that automatically kicks off any pending AJAX uploads when the form is submitted, to auto upload when "next" is clicked on a multipage form. But I can't guarantee that, and it's not something I can justify time on in Community support.

Not really much I can do. The multipage feature was written for a different use case, for long, complex "restartable" forms in normal component menu items. As I said, I've never even tried using it in a module position. If I get some time today I'll set up a test, but I can't promise anything.

You might want to consider using the tabbed template instead.

BTW, note that simple, non AJAX uploads won't work if you have AJAX form submission enabled on the module. That's not a Fabrik thing, that's just an HTML form restriction.

Hugh

Ah thanks Hugh, really appreciate it! Trust me to do the one thing no-one has tried before... :/

I switched it to the tab template as a test. The submit button just stays "greyed" out, even with no validation switched on on the upload fields.

Thanks for that, I switched it off now. The form works fine if I don't have the uploads set to validate. I think I am going to have to run with it for now and hope the end users realise that they will need to submit that documentation or my client won't be able to help them. With the target market I am expecting, I do think it is going to become an issue though.

Do you have 'must validate' and 'toggle submit' enabled?

If you want to take out a paid sub, I might be able to help more, but there is a (very) finite limit on the amount of free support I can provide.

-- hugh

No I don't. Do you think that might help?

I realise you guys also need to get paid for your work and the awesome job you're doing! Let me just get some cash in from this site and I will pay for a sub. If anything comes in before then, I'll make a point of paying. Our currency is really looking bad right now due to some political issues. :(

Nope, I was just wondering if that's why submit stayed greyed out.

Yeah, I understand currency issues. We bill in Euros, but I live in the US ... so I saw my earnings drop by about 30% last year when the USD tanked against the Euro.

-- hugh

Yeah, can't figure it out. Have tried so many configurations.

Man, it's terrible. It's actually embarrassing. I'm trying to move away from development and concentrate on things like this site I'm busy with now where I can make ongoing money through lead generation. Web dev just does not pay the bills around here anymore. You know I'm good for it Hugh. I'll buy a month of the Standard subscription as soon as there's cash flow, if that's ok? That's a promise. I'm also making a note so that I don't forget.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back