Memory limit on back-end, not front end (solved/tip)

pastvne

Bruce Decker
Hi All:
This is not an error but a discovery. It is not a fabrik issue but may impact fabrik. It touches on a topic that has been covered in other forum posts over the years but I'll throw in my two-pence in case it saves some time.

On my web server, I had a list with many records. I could select display '100' records per page and it worked fine on_the_front_end. But if I tried to do the same on the back-end, it would fail with a memory limit exceeded.

I had modified the php.ini in the root directory (front-end) and I placed a phpinfo() script in that dir to confirm that my memory setting of 768M was indeed valid. The front-end worked and the backend failed with a fatal message indicating that the allowed memory of 32M had been exceeded.

Then, I decided that I should also place the phpinfo() script in under /administrator and check it's values by going to http:<domain>/administator/phpinfo.php. Sure enough, the memory limit was the default 32MB instead of the 768MB that I specified in my php.ini file at /.

So, I copied my php.ini file from / to /administrator/ and then re-ran phpinfo.php... It now showed 768MB

Indeed, now I can go to my list on the back-end and I don't have the memory issue when displaying 100 records per page.

I guess it should have been obvious to me but when entering Joomla at /administrator it's a different session so scope of the php.ini does not apply (it appears) and you need to have a php.ini for the back-end if you need anything other than default values.

Now, I'll go scale back 768MB to something reasonable.

That's what I learned today.

Bruce Decker
Parker, CO

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back