Need solution to my fileupload question...

Canuck

I've been asking how I can bulk upload the actual images with fileupload, but apparently it isn't possible. (i.e. by way of referencing the image on my computer, in the same way as when it is done on a per image basis into the fileupload element from the form.)

However, I can upload a file, with a new record with a link to an image in Joomla's Media Manager, (in the location where fileupload stores the image) and I can also upload an image into that same location, (or hundreds of them), so that would be just two steps, instead of hundreds of steps.

Is there any problem with this? I made it work on a test record, so there shouldn't be a problem with batches. But my test record referenced an image that Fabrik put there, and a thumbnail Fabrik put there, named identically, in a separate folder.

Then I uploaded a different image and made my own thumbnail, and named them identically, the way Fabrik does it.

But this doesn't work - with my new image/thumbnail, and the correct reference in my new uploaded record, the thumbnail doesn't show up in the list field.

Why wouldn't this work? Why does a new record work that references images/thumbnails that Fabrik put in Media Manager, but not when I put them there?

If I can do it my way, I can upload hundreds at a time from my computer database.

Please help with this. I think this isa reasonable request that I should be able to make fileupload (or the results it gives) work in this way.

hello,

i think the only possible way (in this moment) to upload multiple files at once is to use the option "Ajax upload" for fileupload element..

That's a good idea, and it might work, since I was able to associate an image already uploaded by Fabrik into Media Manager with records different from the one with which it was originally uploaded. The method you suggest would necessarily associate them with the particular record through which they were uploaded. This makes it a bit messy: If it does work, I would get the files uploaded, and supposedly in a way Fabric is willing to recognize them, but then I would have to go delete the extra ones associated with the original record, and then associate them with the correct ones as I uploaded them.

Maybe I could just use one record as an 'upload record', and after I re-associated its images, delete it and do it again. Some workaround! Why not just make Fabrik work the most efficient way! The feature is called 'file upload'.

There are two factors here, where the images are physically stored on disk, i.e /images/mypics and where the images are referenced, i.e if they need to be associated with a Fabrik record.

Any images copied directly to disk, /images/whereever will be accessible by Fabrik via the image element. This element will allow you to select images in a directory.

If you need a huge batch of images to be imported into Fabrik then you would have to run a script to do this. This would probably have to run outside Fabrik but would access your table to update the information.

How hard this is to achieve all depends on how complex your setup is. There are tons of PHP scripts out on the web that let you do this sort of thing, there may even be a Joomla extension.

I tried again, and it works! Yahoo! Must have had a character out of place on the other test. I couldn't see why Fabrik would look at my separately uploaded images and say, 'Hey, I didn't put that there... I'm not going to use it'.

I'm not sure you understood my goal because if you had, you probably would have said, no problem.

So just so others with the same interest will understand, here it is again:

I wanted fileupload to batch upload my images so they would be associated with their corresponding record, and also show a thumbnail in the list. But Fabrik won't use a link to look on my computer for every image that goes with each new uploaded record within a batch. So that won't work.

But, if you download a record where the image was already uploaded using the method Fabric can use - i.e. it uploads and associates an image using a form that contains the fileupload element, - you will see that the association is simply a reference to the image where Fabrik stored it it Media Manager (or wherever you chose to have it stored when you created the fileupload element). This is pretty obvious: it has to reference it somehow.

So all you have to do is a batch upload of those images you intend to use in the records you plan to upload, and then within those records ready for upload, simply format a link to the images you already uploaded that points to where Fabrik knows to look for them, (as designated in the fileupload element), instead of using the link that you may have preferred to use pointing to the image on your own computer. Same difference. Hard to say but easy to do. Works like a charm!

I'm not sure you understood my goal because if you had, you probably would have said, no problem.
<shrugs>

Glad you got it sorted even though I still not quite sure what you wanted to do. :D

Ok, one more time: Goal is to upload 1,000 records with 1,000 images - one image associated with each record. Thumbnail of image in list.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back