Possible footer (or "outro")

Jaanus

Super Moderator
My little testing shows that such thing as footer text area or "outro" (as Hugh said in another thread) is possible and generalli works. I tested it firsr with form/details using tabs template.

One error still occurred in form.php

There I created a new function - public function getOutro()
copied under this all code from public function getIntro()
and changed all intros against outros. Everything else remained the same.
It worked but with a warning message:

// Warning: preg_replace_callback() [function.preg-replace-callback0]: Requires argument 2, 'FabrikFEModelForm::_getOutro', to be a valid callback in /home/.../components/com_fabrik/models/form.php on line 3665

Then I commented out this line:
$outro = preg_replace_callback($match, array($this, '_getOutro'), $outro);

and message disappeared. But perhaps I miss now some feature from there that the intro has? What I did wrong?

got answer. Just didn't notice another fuction that had to be copied as well.
But another question before my pull request. Where to write the new field name 'outro' so that people could alter forms table easily?
Posted via Mobile Device

I couldn't find another thread about the outro, I'm sure there ws a discussion somewhere.

Januus, I like the outro feature so thanks for that implementation it will be really useful.

I was wondering if we could maybe improve the layout of the backend. I think over the years there have been so many new features that the backend is starting to get a little cramped now.

So first I thought we could put the intro and outro in their own tabs, or maybe in a tab together.

Something like this.

http://screencast.com/t/bFnBLKMJ

Or as alternative put everything in a tab which would allow us to space out the labels and parameters so everything isn't so bunched up.

Something like this.

http://www.screencast.com/t/tnwu6XR6RMi

Only a suggestion maybe, this is open to all to discuss.

I like the first one, as it's not so much of a departure from our existing layout. Too much change in one go Tends To Confuse People. Ask Facebook. ;)

"OMG! It's the end of the world! My Newsfeed looks different! Facebook sucks! We want the Old Facebook back!"

Should be possible, it'd need some tweaking of the admin form view though, I think.

-- hugh

Yeah I know what you mean about too much change at once. That then brings the 'switchable' question, to show the 'new style' and the 'classic' style.... actually lets not go down that road.

The 2nd layout was just an idea so we could expand the labels from the settings. With the intro and outro being in another tab there's room to add space in between each line as well. I guess it just hurts my eyes as I'm always doing stuff at 'silly time a'clock'.

BTW, how did you create those layouts for the screencasts?

I actually edited all the necessary Fabrik files, it was a real edit, no special effects. :)

I cheated with the 2nd layout though in terms of the width as I couldn't see where to change that straight away, so I modified it with firebug and then recorded.... but don't tell anyone.

<shrugs>

I didn't go as far as testing it, didn't see the point if everybody boo'd the idea. :D

I can test it though if you think it may be of interest.

Something that I would prefer:

all elements that give us some information about the form layout are together, that means within one possible tab in the same order as they are in real form.

E. g

Label
Intro
Error message
Groups
Outro

And - last but not least -
the best I wish is that once we can compose our forms in WYSIWYG interface
like (and of course somehow better way than) it is possible in SmartFormer component.

http://www.itoris.com/joomla-form-builder-smartformer-gold.html

(comment: I like more their grid in J1.5 version

Something that I would prefer:

all elements that give us some information about the form layout are together, that means within one possible tab in the same order as they are in real form.

E. g

Label
Intro
Error message
Groups
Outro
http://www.itoris.com/joomla-form-builder-smartformer.html

That could be a solution as well.

I think it's really finding that compromise between the logical layout and the clutter free layout.

I was working on a form today with a few plugins, mail, PHP etc. I think generally if I was new to Fabrik it would look quite complicated.

I think we have to bear in mind that some of us have used it for so long that we are just used to it.

We still have plans for a GUI form builder. But it's not a trivial undertaking.

-- hugh

Somewhere else I proposed SmartFormer. Unfortunately, today it's fully commercial and the trial version's code is not readable. The old open source version for 1.5 is not available on their site.
BUT...
You can get this old open source version when you create a test site by installing Joomla site with Website Starter Kit from http://www.guidedhelp.net/ (It installs 1.5.23 with lot of extensions)

IMO the user interface to create custom form (fully drag & drop etc) is the best that we could wish for GUI form creator. I think it's worth to use as some kind of starting point

smartformer.png

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back