[Solution] Import csv results in blank records

Sophist

I have tried to import a CSV into a new list, and it appears to work ok matching data to fields and creating the right number of records, however when you look at the data the records are all blank.

I should make it clear that this was attempting to create a list with the import, and not importing into an existing list (which I will try later).

Just tried to import into an existing list - fields matched perfectly, but all data was empty again!!

Trying to debug this now and the problem seems to be in components/com_fabrik/models/form.php @ function processToDB.

I am comparing what happens in this function when updating a row with what happens when you import a CSV.

I haven't quite tracked down the problem yet, but I wanted to comment on how this function stores its data. At entry, formData holds a variety of properties, including all placeholders with ___. With the table___element format, each of these is likely to be unique and unlikely to conflict with any other properties stored in formData. However...

It then runs $listModel->removeTableNameFromSaveData to remove the table name and ___ and just leave the field names. This is fine so long as the shortened names are a. unique within the elements being saved (which might not be true) and b. don't conflict with any other properties used by fabrik. But I can easily see how these might NOT be unique. Indeed with common field names such as id it is quite likely for there to be a conflict.

I would recommend that:
1. The removeTableNameFromSaveData returns only placeholders.
2. The returned values are stored separately for each table and separate from other fabrik formData.

I will update this further once I have fully tracked down the problem and submitted a fix PR.

OK - I have tracked down the problem causing blank fields and fixed it in components/com_fabrik/models/importcsv.php as follows:

Code:
$formModel->formData = $aRow;
to:
Code:
$formModel->formData = $formModel->formDataWithTableName = $aRow;
Essentially a property used in elementModel.onStoreRow was not being set.

However, it is now duplicating row 1 into row 2 (testing only with 2 rows at present for simplicity) and I have not tracked this down yet.

Ok - I have now tracked down the second bug to components/com_fabrik/models/element.php getValue. This is basically storing the values in a defaults array and then reusing these next time around.

I am unclear what the purpose of the defaults array is, and so having to suck it and see - but I am unsure about how to test all the use cases which this change could affect.

Here are the two files you need to replace in components/com_fabrik/models to make importing work. (Obviously you need to remove the .txt to make them .php again.) Please apply these after installing fabrik 3.1b AND applying the latest files from GITHUB.

I have not done extensive regression testing to see if the fix I have coded has any unintended consequences. So use at your own risk.

Also, the fix to form.php is a bit of a kludge, copying a similar kludge from elsewhere in this file. The element.php getValue function needs to be looked at to see whether the use of the defaults array is actually correct (or even useful).

Uploaded as PR-746.

P

Attachments

• form.php.txt
    128 KB · Views: 1,461
  • importcsv.php.txt
    34.9 KB · Views: 654
hardkiffeur - Can you please post a link to this topic in the above Standard Support forum (which I cannot post to)?

Thanks.

Note : I've a link element and all informations was sav into database but when I edit raw, I've got only a "{" into label and nothing into the url. But I've this this into the database after importation :
"{\"label\":\"plan\".\"link\":\"http:\\\/\\\/www.promogerim.fr\\\/plans\"}"
And good one (like the CSV data) must feet to : {"label":"plan","link":"http:\/\/www.promogerim.fr\/plans"}
So the import add " at the start and the end of the data I was import

If you want to upload a sample of your CSV file, I will take a quick look. But (not yet having see the CSV file) this looks to me like several problems.

1. csv import not handling quoted strings as advertised.

2. possibly storing the URLs in the database so that they will display properly (i.e. with quoted / and \) - but IMO this is incorrect as other code may use the data in the database - it should store it native and add necessary quoting to the string as needed at the time of display.

Since my CSV files are not quoted, this is not an issue for me at present, and it will need to wait until I can find the time to look at it in more detail for me to try to debug it and find a fix.

P

This file looks to be a CSV export of your Fabrik table after you imported.

Can you let me have a sample of the CSV file you are importing?

Thx.

Arf, I made in this way for more compatibility,
1) Create one entrie under Fabrik
2) export the Csv with the sample data
3) add data to the file
4) reimport with all data
So I work only on this file :(

Well - if this is essentially data that you have saved through a form and exported it, then I am really not sure what the problem is?

I would say that the export should not have escaped \ or /, and probably should not have JSONs in it but that is just my opinion.

So without more information, I cannot understand what the problem is, nor reproduce it nor debug and fix it.

P

well, not sure if this is related exactly. import is still really acting strange.
the fields are all off, if you are trying to import with now all the fileds in th csv, or if there are more than you need. and you are just trying to grab a couple.. the whole fields offset or shift and you end up with filed data you dont want in your existing fileds.. this is strange...

I am currently running into this exact problem on a crisp and up-2-date Fabrik installation. I would asume this issue from 2013 being solved by now?

The tables are all created, but no data is in it. Anyone any ideas?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back