Stop Previous button triggering validation on group page breaks

softforge

Is there any way to stop the Previous button triggering the element validations?

The reason is we have a review group of elements which asks the users to assess how confident they are on their answers on the previous pages using sliders. The sliders have validation so if they are not confident enough, it asks them to go back and change the previous answers. The problem is they cant go back using the Previous button without first setting the confidence sliders to high enough to pass the validation. This is not very intuitive.

I think a great solution to this would be to add another parameter in the "edit group" page within the "Pagination - multi page forms" field set called something like "Validate on Previous". If this was set to "no", it would allow the users to go back without having to satisfy the validation on the page they changed direction on. I think this would be a really useful feature!

Thanks for considering! :)

hi

I think that we don't need another option for this, but simply that validations should not be run when going back a page. I've altered the code to this effect in github

I have something nagging at the back of my brain that says we may need this to be an option, but I can't immediately work out why.

And just to get this on paper (as it were), at some point I'd like to implement a "page is dirty" system, so a page is flagged as dirty until it is validated, and then remains "clean" until anything is changed. But this wouldn't be trivial.

One advantage of a 'dirty' method would be that we could then show the Submit button in a more intelligent fashion, so it shows on all pages whenever there are no 'dirty' pages.

-- hugh

Thanks very much Rob, going back now doesn't trigger the validation! :)

I can see the advantages of the dirty/clean page system but I can also see that it would not be trivial to implement.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Staff online

Members online

Back