Stripe Connect?

sams

If you haven't seen Stripe Connect it is a way to have multiple vendors on your site and setup comisssions and payouts to be automated. You can see more about it at https://stripe.com/docs/connect

I am very interested in getting the Stripe Plugin to also work with Stripe Connect. I have some PHP Experience, but not much with Payment Plugins and API's. I contacted Stripe support and they told me,

"The Stripe folder you've linked to is simply the plugin including a copy of Stripe's PHP SDK [1], which has built-in support for Connect.

The main question would be what you'd need to modify within the plugin, Fabrik, itself.

You'd essentially need to create a means for accounts to connect to your Platform [2], and then make requests on their behalf [3].

The Stripe SDK that's included can support making requests on behalf of a Connected account, so once you have an account connected to your Platform, if you can have Fabrik push an additional header on requests [3], you can use Connect (if not, I recommend talking to the plugin creators about this)."

Any guidance on starting this or assistance with getting this working would be appreciated.

That would require some changes within the plugin itself. Not something I can advise on how to do, as I've never done it. It's something I would do if the work was funded.

-- hugh

I'll take a look at the API's and get back to you. My gut feeling is about half a day's work, but I can't give any firm quote until I've looked at the code.

It would mean adding another section to the config, for 'vendor' details, where you specify the vendor Stripe ID (probably a choice of defining a vendor table and the stripe_id element in that, and the element on the submitted form which is a join to that table, or a simple placeholder on the form), and the commission. Plus of course modifying all the customer and charge API calls to use the oauth token and vendor id.

-- hugh

Hmm, will also need to build a second plugin for creating the connected accounts, and a webhook endpoint for the redirect when creating connected accounts, to capture the account id's.

So more like a full day. Not trivial.

-- hugh

may not be worth it. I can buy an already programmed Connect package for one of the Ecommerce Addons for $89. I could always just access their data tables. It's not as elegant, but may work.

I'm really looking for a php solution to rival Sharetribe (it's an opensource Marketplace written in Ruby) or Cocorico (a php piece written in PHP). I'm more familiar with the Joomla platform and Fabrik and I don't want to spend a lot of time on learning a new piece of software to customize. I"m still a big Fabrik fan, but budgets do come into play at times.

Yup. There's a big difference between buying an already written package, and funding development of one.

This is one of those things that will happen in our Stripe plugin when either I have a project of my own that needs it, or a direct client needs it badly enough to fund development. I just can't justify the time to do the coding and testing on spec.

-- hugh

I was hoping it would be a bit simpler.
Thanx for the answers though. I do appreciate it.

Sam

I was hoping it would be simpler too, and the actual calling of the charge API on behalf of a connected account is indeed trivial - you just add the account ID to the API calls. The tricky part is getting those connected accounts set up, using their OAuth work flow, and stored somewhere the plugin can access them.

-- hugh

Back