Textarea stripping all html on save

inradius

This seems like it should be simple, but is giving me a headache. Just want to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

I have a textarea set to use the wysiwyg editor (TinyMCE). I also have set my Global Config -> Text Filters to No Filtering for my user level. Yet nothing I type in the textarea field with any kind of html styling gets saved. It all gets stripped out. I've gone so far as to set No Filtering for every single user group. Still strips all html. Is there something very simple that i'm missing here?

Joomla! 2.5.1
Fabrik 3 Latest from GitHub

I have the same problem.

Using Fabrik-fabrik-3.0.3-130-g97a7e81

on Joomla! 2.5.1 Stable [ Ember ] 2-Feb-2012 14:00 GMT

Using TinyMCE. I checked on my filters, and they are fine. (I'm also not having trouble with the editor in the articles area or any other area of joomla that uses the WYSIWYG editor.)

Either way, it shouldn't be the text filters because its not so much filtering as it is removing ALL HTML code and then putting a single <p></p> tag around the text ...

<div><b>this is a test</b></div>

becomes

<p>this is a test</p> on save.

And ... even if I do this:

<p> this is</p><p> a test</p>

on submit it becomes:

<p>this is a test</p>

So that is pretty weird.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Bump.

Also, I don't even think it's saving those outer <p> </p> tags that angiras mentioned. The TinyMCE editor is just inserting them when the form view is loaded. On save, it's stripping out every tag.

For information, with today's Github (144) and Joomla! 1.7.5, I don't see this problem. Whether I use tinyMCE or JCE, the HTML tags are kept.

However, for bold, I have the <strong> tag inserted, not the <b> one. Maybe a setting in tinyMCE?

I doubt it's a problem with the TinyMCE editors settings. I can create and edit Joomla articles with the TinyMCE editor and all html is saved just fine. When I create or edit a Fabrik list item, the TinyMCE html data is all stripped out.

Also, as mentioned before, this is Joomla 2.5.1 I'm talking about.

inradius is correct that the data is not being saved to the database with the <p></p> tags I mentioned.

As for the <b> versus <strong> tags ... it doesn't matter WHAT html is put in there ... it strips out everything. Its acting like the 'no html' filter is on. Which its not in my case ... I've temporarily set 'no filtering' for all user groups, just to make sure its not the filters.

I know that text-filters were moved from the articles section to the global config in 2.5 ... maybe other changes were made to the way text filters work, so now its messing with Fabrik... ?

Also, not sure if these things would be relevant, but :

1. This is happening in the admin in the backend. I have not tested it in the front-end ... as I almost never use fabrik for anything that requires front end editing.

2. The account I'm doing this with is a super user account.

3. I tried turning OFF the WYSIWYG for the text area in the form ... and just inputing the html manually, and it still strips it out.

4. I tried setting my account so that it uses no editor, and then input the html manually ... and it still strips it out.

5. At least once, after hitting 'submit' ... I've watched the page 'adjust' the data before saving, (i.e. the date field switched to UTC, etc.) and I watched the text area get emptied .... so whatever system is running that could cause that is where the problem is likely at. I don't know a lot about how fabrik is programmed, but off the top of my head I'd say it seems like some kind of javascript thing if its happening on the screen before save...

If someone can tell me WHERE in the software the text areas content is prepared/filtered before save ... I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can solve the problem.

Note - I have not applied 144 yet ... I'm doing that now ... I'll repost to let you know if it fixes the problem or not.

I applied 144 and the problem is not solved. :( ... I've got a few other things to do and then I'm going to start digging through code. I'll let you know.

Well I tested it on J! 2.5.1 and Git 144 and I can't reproduce the issue. HTML tags are there and they stay, using tinyMCE and whether I create or edit tje element from the backend or the frontend.
You can test it here : http://www.realisation-joomla.be/test/chiens.html

So I think this is not a fabrik related issue.
Have you tested it from the front-end? If it happens only in the backend, then probably it is a third-party plugin that is the culprit.

I installed a fresh Joomla 2.5.1 on my wamp server and installed nothing but the latest Fabrik from the Github, and even there I get this issue. Absolutely nothing installed on that Joomla but Fabrik. No special template, component, module or plugins. 100% stock Joomla and Fabrik.

As for my live site that is having this issue, it runs PHP 5.2.17, and I can't update to 5.3+

Well I tested it on J! 2.5.1 and Git 144 and I can't reproduce the issue. HTML tags are there and they stay, using tinyMCE and whether I create or edit tje element from the backend or the frontend.
You can test it here : http://www.realisation-joomla.be/test/chiens.html

That link says Joomla 1.7 in the title and in the copyright.

Edit: Just tested it on the frontend and backend. No difference.

I also tested it out on a fresh install of Joomla 2.5 and still have the problem.

I am also running php 5.2 ... so since both of the people with the problem are running 5.2 maybe that is the issue.

So I'm going to see if I can get my set up upgraded to 5.3 ... I don't know how that would make a difference... but we'll see.

Tested front and backend with the latest 2.5.1 J! and Fabrik Github and cannot reproduce the error. I haven't made any specific changes to filtering either.

What do you see if you re-edit the record and click the HTML button within tinyMCE?

If I go in to re-edit the record, the html simply shows the <p> </p> tags around the content. And upon checking inside the database, these outer paragraph tags are not even saving to the database.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• html_stripped.jpg
    html_stripped.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,685
  • stripped_db.jpg
    stripped_db.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,652
Looking at your screenshot, I notice that I don't have the same layout for TinyMCE, so something must be different in its configuration on your server.

I have not change anything myself to these settings and I would not know how to do it anyway since I never use this editor (but JCE instead).

By the way, have you tested with JCE to see if you have the same problem?
Also, I don't think the PHP version can be the problem.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 344
I've tested with JCE, does the same thing.

The screenshots are from my localhost wamp server version, which as I stated above, means there has been absolutely no modifications done by myself to anything at all. It is completely stock and freshly downloaded Joomla 2.5.1 with completely stock Fabrik 3 fresh from Github.

The TinyMCE editor you are seeing in the screenshot is 100% stock default which comes with and is enabled by default in Joomla.

I installed Joomla, installed Fabrik, made this simple Fabrik form, and this was the result. No changes what-so-ever to any code, settings, options, etc. etc.

Edit: Try for yourself. http://www.travisstroud.co.uk/joomla/

Do you know if this worked in F2?

I seem to remember a recent post in F2 about this and it's possible it hasn't been carried across to F3.

These problems happen in EVERY editor I have tried - including NO EDITOR. It happens on the front end and the back end. All of my text-filters are set to 'no filter'. It happens in a clean install of joomla/fabrik. I don't know what else to try.

My problem works exactly like what is going on with inradius's demo site there.

Text areas worked in F2 just fine for me. OF course, that was not in Joomla 1.7 or Joomla 2.5 ... since fabrik 2 didn't run on those.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back