Updating SVN files

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrissiDe

I am needing to update my svn files. I have only used a SVN client one time so I am not familiar with it. I already am using the svn files but I am needing to get the latest up dates. After I right click on Tortise SVN would I click update svn?

Thank you

Yes.

Once it has updated, 'Export' the trunk, to another folder location. Use the exported copy to ftp up to your server. Exporting the original SVN folder gets rid of a lot of unnecessary SVN meta-data (the .svn directory).

-- hugh

This is what I have done: I right clicked the my svn fabrik folder cliked svn update and then I exported the folder to a new folder.

I am a little confused now. Do I upload the whole new folder to the .svn directory?

Sorry but I do not want to mess anything up.

Thank you,
Brittani

Once you exported the 'trunk' from your main SVN folder, you should have a 'clean' copy of the Fabrik code, in the same folder structure as your server copy (components/com_fabrik, administrator/components/com_fabrik, etc).

Just use your favorite ftp client (I use FileZilla) to upload those files, overwriting the ones on your server. With FileZilla, I just open the server side to the main Joomla directory, select the exported folders in my exported copy, and upload them all at once.

Don't worry, even if you moof it up, this won't affect your database, so it's just a case of getting the right files in the right place.

And ... no, the /svn folders don't need to be copied up to the server - that's the whole point of the 'export' step. The .svn folders contain lots and lots of files detailing the changes to progessive revisions of the SVN content. After a while there can be thousands of these 'meta-data' files, which you simply don't need to ftp up to the server.

-- hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back