Will Fabrik Fill my requirements ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what you've shown, I'm pretty sure Fabrik could do this.
I dunno about the RSS feed, though. Maybe someone more experienced with those things could comment.

Hi Steve,

I can see no reason why Fabrik cannot support your needs including the RSS feed.

Durring development you should be able find everything you need in the manual or the wiki, but if not post us.

Thanks for choosing Fabrik,
-Graylan King

Thanks for getting back to me guys.

My concern is how I start to structure the elements and groups to collect all the data I will require, as I mentioned previously, no two races are exactly the same, we have different titles World, European, National and Record. Then we have all the different classes from F-1 down to juniors, different boats, engines, countries of races and countries of drivers..

I'm not sure of the best way to start the elements and group then together. a driver in class A can also be a driver in Class B but he might use a different engine in one of them.

This is the problem, I need to try and make league tables of the data, searchable on class, title year driver or even most successful engine manufacturer, going back for years..

Any pointers as to where to start, might help me out..

Many Thanks..

Steve

You ever designed a database before? If not - thats where you need to start my friend.
You can have real fancy systems and flashy pages etc, but unless the underlying data model is right - its gonna be a pain in the rear for you. If you don't have previous database design experience, then jumping right in with a tool like fabrik is going to seriously damage your sanity.

Fabrik is very good - but you need a good understanding of the data itself before you will begin to understand how to represent that via a design tool or interface

Nope! Never designed a database before......and that is why I'm not rushing into anything..

My Problem is, I know the data fields and cross links that I'd like, but how to design the tables so that a winning driver links with a winning engine, and class.. is leaving me stumped.

I have made a small form on my test site, that will pull back the data as it currently looks on the html tables on the production site. That bit was simple, the problem is the cross links to classes, championships, boats, drivers, heats, race times etc... Think I'll go and make a cup of coffee...

The first thing that springs to mind is this;
Step one - create tables for all the various elements of a fixture/race/meet - these don't need to be linked in any way as they are only lookup tables
Step two - create an extended table that will hold the ACTUAL fixtures data. This table will be populated before each meet, and you can "build" profiles for each racer, selecting engines, classes, color of underwear etc. This table effectively records a snapshot of averybodies configuration for each meet.
Step three - create your fabrik interfaces for managing these tables
Step four - create views that can slice & dice the data for presentation purposes.

Recording the data is tough enough but it is only one element. Fabrik is certainly up to that bit - Keep that bit simple.
Presenting the data is a totally seperate exercise.I honestly don't know if fabrik is up to that job - you might consider something like ASPReportMaker/PHPReportMaker - These tools take extended tabular data and allow you filter, group, graph and crosstab.

http://www.quaysupport.co.uk

Hello,

I have decided to scale down my intitial goal, as this was too complicated with all the different varibles for world racing results.. I'm now trying to set-up this for UK Racing, Basically I am trying to create a driver pre-enter race form, this then goes into the DB, and also is emailed to the selected club of entry. Then I would like to create race results forms, pulling the driver names from the pre-entries already submitted. when I look at the tables, they are named jos_fabrik_data1 and 2, can I specify a better way to create the tables, with meaningful names ?

Thanks in advance..

Hi
The reason the tables are so named is because you have used fabrik to actually create the tables. When you set up field elements and forms, then create the corresponding table in fabrik, fabrik actually goes away to your database and creates that table for you in the back-end of mysql. At this stage, fabrik creates the mysql table name all by itself - hence the rather abstract names.

Once a fabrik table is "bound" to a mysql table, thats it. You can't create the stuff in fabrik, let fabrik then create the stuff in mysql, then re-name the tables in mysql - If you do this, fabrik will think the tables have been dropped from the database (try it and see what happens - I may be wrong)

You will notice on the table editor settings, when first creating a fabrik table, you are presented with a drop-down that allows you to select the mysql table you want to "bind" to - once you have selected this and saved the fabrik table, you can't go back and edit this.

Thing to do if you want full control over the mysql tables, is create them yourself using mysql administrator for mysql5. Its a full windows gui and will connect to your mysql database even if its hosted on a web server somewhere (which I assume it is) You can get this from the mysql site under MySQL5 GUI Tools (or something similar) I always use this whenever possible as MySQLAdminPHP does my head in.

Once you have created the tables you require in MySql - THEN go to fabrik and create your first table. Doing it this way round, you get to tell fabrik which EXISTING MySQL table you want to generate forms for, and fabrik does the rest. This saves you HOURS of manually creating each element then group etc.

Once fabrik has done all the donkey work, you can then edit individual elements to tailor them for such things as radio buttons, combos & lookups etc.

Hope this helps.
www.quaysupport.co.uk

Thanks, You been helpful...I think it's the MySQL I need to learn a little more about.. I did see a MySQL program for designing database tables, called workbench, but it is only available for Windows Platforms at the moment, and I run OS/X.

I created a DB called "RacingDB" and have started to create the tables, 1st table being "racing_calendar" and can then go back into Fabrik to create the fields, this works best for me, as I can select dropdown and date ect..

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back