Deleting list causes an error in another list when viewing/editing details

kbfarrell

I deleted a list I was no longer using and since this delete (complete w/ groups, elements, table) I am having an issue with viewing the records of another list. I can add records, I can see them in the database and I can see them in the list - but clicking the edit or details buttons prompts a "we are unable to find this record" error message on anything added since this delete of the old list. Some elements from the new list were moved from the old list - so I am assuming there is some sort of connection that remains after the delete. This is the second time I have had issues after deleting a list, so I am really after the best way to do so in the future to avoid having these problems once the site is live. There must be a way to safely and completely delete unused lists, forms, etc without causing problems.....
Thank you in advance!

It's true that deleting a list (+ all the elements/groups) is always a bit of a challenge because of all the connections that can exist (joins, child elements, ...).
The only safe way I know when deleting a list is "know what you are doing"!

That means, if you just created the list, and want to delete it because it does not do what you expected, it's probably OK to do so and it won't hurt anything else.
On the other hand, if it is a list that was created early in the development, watch out: it may have been copied (hence has linked elements), joined (also linked elements, plus joins, new groups,...), so it might be safer to keep it. You can always unpublish it to avoid any access.

In every case, what I do when I plan to do some potentially risky operation in Fabrik (like copying an existing list, join two or more lists, delete a list,...) is:
  1. Make a dump of the current database via phpMyAdmin
  2. Do the "risky" operation
  3. Test if everything connected to this new "thing" is still working the way it is expected. If not and it can be fixed, I fix it and move on. If not and I don't undestrand why (that happens) or it turned out to be a bad idea after all, I delete the whole database and import the copy I made in point 1. That way I am at the state I was before this wrong move and I can think about a better way to do what I need.
Important note : CHECK that the dump made in point 1 when fine and you have a valid copy of the database, otherwise you may be very sorry after you delete your whole database! I know what I'm talking about...

Thank you much jfquestiaux .. well at least I know I did something correctly - the dump prior to delete.... and in the meantime I restored said back-up and I still have the issue - I the back-end it seems to work - I can view the newly created records so it something I am missing.... one day I will "know what I am doing" ! hahahahaha

After creating a new list and adding only a couple elements, it would seem the issue is actually that the details of additional records are what are not visible - only the first one and I should perhaps open a new thread with that issue..

I have a dbjoin on the Name from table1
I am adding a Dr Visit and information from my new list (table3)
I can add the first visit and view/edit the details...
I can add a second, third, etc visit.... I can SEE it in the list... but get the "unable to find record" error on those subsequent entries

does that make more sense? I have another list that uses the same logic and it works just fine...

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back