Keyboard accessible navigation of a multipage form

jimkeane

One of the key parts of my job is ensuring the accessibility of our web pages. Having used Fabrik for quite a while I was surprised that I had failed to notice that multipage forms could not be navigated via the keyboard - unless I'm missing something obvious.

Anyway, to outline the problem. Say you are a visually impaired user you will typically move from field to field on a form by pressing the tab key. This works as expected.

The problem comes when have a multi-page form as the buttons in a Fabrik form do not form part of the tab order of the page, so cannot be reached except by clicking them.

This behaviour is present in both Fabrik 2.1.2 and 3.1rc2.

I'm wondering if their is either a fix for this or if it is an area for development :)

I think you may find that the buttons on a multi-page or tabbed field ARE in the tab order, but they are after all the input fields of the hidden pages/tabs so you only get to them after tabbing a large number of times.

I think it might be useful to think not only about fixing this (if it is possible with HTML), but also about providing Alt-/Ctrl- key shortcuts to fields/buttons (again if this is possible with HTML).

Thanks for this Sophist, and a sign I should check it other browsers not just one! A little round-up:
Safari - not in the tab order (Bad safari)​
Firefox - in the tab order​
Chrome - in the tab order (as is just about everything on the page that could be, well done chrome)​
IE - in the tab order.​
I might have a prod of the Templates HTML to see what is going on...

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back