made mistake making and ID field integer

JackGoa

hi, i made a mistake by making a fieldin a form that captures peoples identity numbers as an integer with max lenght of 13.
allthe numbers have been captured as the same number which is 10 digits long. i know it's probably too late, but i'm hoping someone will tell me there is a way to revert to the right numbers?

I don't quite understand the issue. Setting a field to type Integer with a "length" doesn't restrict the length of the number you can store. It'll still be a standard INT column in MySQL (assuming you haven't set "Alter existing field types" to No on the List settings) which will store a 32 bit number. The only thing the 'length' sets is how MySQL formats the number if you elect to use 0 padding.

In the Subject you mention 'ID field', did you change the type of your primary key element for the list?

-- hugh

it is a field that users use to enter their Identity Number, like a social security number.
it changed all the numbers to the same number and instead of 13 numbers it made them all 10 numbers.

Do you have access to your database (something like phpMyAdmin)? Check if the database table contains still the right values.
If no: bad
if yes: copy this table (so you'll have a backup in any case), then set the fabrik element settings to the right ones.
I

no. they're all that wrong number :/

don't understand what went wrong there.

listen, when i created my form/list, i copied the default id and date/time fields for the new form. i see when i want to edit the copied id and date/time fileds now, it asks me if i want to unlink it from the default id and date/time that was created when fabrik was installed. is it safe to unlink it?

I don't understand what you did.
If you want to create a new list you don't need to copy any elements, fabrik will create an id and date_time element automatically.

The fabrik id element is integer and autoincrement (and the premary key of your underlying MySQL database table) and can't be used to store any thing like a social security number. You won't see it at all in your form as long as you don't modify it manually; that's what Hugh was asking
In the Subject you mention 'ID field', did you change the type of your primary key element for the list

It's save to unlink any linked elements but I really don't know what you've done and what you want to achieve.

i think you misunderstand me.

when i created a new list. fabrik did not automatically create the date and id fields. they were there already, but not linked to my new list. so i copied the existing ones and linked the new copied id and date field to my new list that i created. when i want to edit the "new copied id and date fields", then it asks me if i want to unlink it from the internal fabrik id and date fields.

that id field (which i know is the primary key) is NOT what i am using for the "identity number" field which a user has to fill in and which i now have a problem with.

So you didn't create a new database table but linked the new fabrik list to an existing one?
they were there already, but not linked to my new list.
Then the original ones are belonging to an other fabrik list/group.
Yes, unlink the copied ones.

But linking a fabrik list to an existing database table shouldn't alter any existing record content no matter what are your element settings (as long as you don't edit and save such a record via fabrik form).

I installed Fabrik.
In the list of elements, by default, I did not create it, there was an id and date/time element.
I created a new list/table.
I copied the default id and date/time elements to use in my new list.
So it's ok to unlink them?

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back