Moving on from fabrik?

porlhews

Firstly; apologies to the owners of fabrik and the moderators of this forum; if this post is unsuitable then please delete.

Thanks for the most recent update regarding fabrik’s future; regrettably it looks increasingly likely that fabrik won’t be transitioning to Joomla 4 and beyond.

I was just wondering what everyone was using as alternatives to fabrik?

For the last 14 years I’ve volunteered for a childrens charity - fabrik has been amazing for us. Ideally I’d like to continue using fabrik, but if that’s not possible then I’d like something as close to fabrik as possible.

Please do not quite write off Fabrik yet - some of us are still trying to keep it alive.

There are no direct alternatives to Fabrik AFAIK. There is a Joomla extension called Joomla Component Builder which can be used to build applications, but it is much more of a coding tool with much less covered by a web interface, and IMO has a much steeper learning curve and is more suited to experienced developers.

There is a discussion happening on Github - https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/issues/2262

@porlhews have you looked at SEBLOD? I used it for a while but found Fabrik made more sense to me. It takes a different approach to Fabrik and you have to pay for the more useful plugins, but it’s pay-once-use-forever and quite reasonable. And they’re actively developing a J4 version. I’m certainly going to revisit it for my two Fabrik apps, just in case.

I've been using SEBLOD for a few years now. It's great if you want to expand your site possibilities article-wise (pretty much like FlexiContent). However when you want to have your own applications working independently, Fabrik has no match. Possibility of permanently halting its development just scares me, as I've created some really complex applications with it (and still keep on developing them). And it is Fabrik that turned me into PHP programmer in the first place.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. SEBLOD is limited to simpler applications. I guess we have to hope that Fabrik can be saved by the community.

I've been using SEBLOD for a few years now. It's great if you want to expand your site possibilities article-wise (pretty much like FlexiContent). However when you want to have your own applications working independently, Fabrik has no match. Possibility of permanently halting its development just scares me, as I've created some really complex applications with it (and still keep on developing them). And it is Fabrik that turned me into PHP programmer in the first place.
I am in the same situation as you

How long am i using Fabrik... 10 years?? It gas always been a favourite tool and it still can be for me.
Have been using Seblod as well but it was too limited for what I needed. I hopes to turn Fabrik in a better and a more flexible kind of Seblod. And that worked for a certein time.
The last year I really hoped for a bright future for Fabrik with Joomla 4.
But to be sure I looked for alternatives... and indeed there is no available right now. Joomla Component Builder is very promising but I have to turn myself into a real developer with programming skills and that is something I do not want to do.
What I found was that there were in the past a few Joomla extensions that dealt with tables and databases. There are still a few but it is not clear if they will be ported for J4.
The one left I am exploring now is Joomla Component Creator by Jenssen technology. You will not finf it in the JED and I do not know why.
On there website they do not talk about J4 but form the documentation you can read they pretend to be ready for J4. The documentation (all video's) give an impression of what it is capable of.
But my impression is that if you really want to dive into the deep you have to count on your own developing skills. Mine are not enough unfortunately.
But... you can save some time using it. There is much more potential for non-devepolers if there was a lot of documentation and examples and a more active forum community.
Lack of time, that why I can't really explore this tool but i hope that someone else can have a look and share the findings. Or maybe already someone knows it can tell if it is worth spending more time.

If Fabrik will have a J4 version I'm very well prepared to pay a reasonable fee for it.
thanks
Menno

I had a quick view at Joomlaboat Custom Tables. Will try on a copy of my developmentsite next weeks.
However porting my apps to a new tool will be time consuming.
What I am looking for is a real tool based on the vision from data architecture. That is what I like in Fabrik. On my personal site I did not create fancy layouts and stayed very close to the basics in fabrik: www.fluve.nl/index.php/teilvkrek-tuin

Regards Klaas

I havn't looked but doesn't wordpress have anything similar, given their userbase I had assumed there might be something?

Otherwise, I've had a quick look at bubble. Anyone used it successfully?

While my fingers are firmly crossed for Fabrik 4, I am starting to look at alternatives. Currently investigating WP and Formidable Forms.

If Fabrik will have a J4 version I'm very well prepared to pay a reasonable fee for it.
thanks
Menno
I am too.

I discovered Fabrik 2 years ago, and it really helped me building a simple system used by a 100 people for their daily work. I pray the Lord there is a company interested in continuing Fabrik's development.

I had a look at Joomlaboat's Custom Tables as venekamp suggested. That was a few month ago. It looked promising but it appeared to have many bugs and was not very stable. But I liked the idea behind it and because there was a J4 version I came back to it from time to time. Developer was obvious working on it and I decided to buy the pro version. I really spend many hours to put to work but its appeared to be still buggy. But then there was an update and I already got better results. Two days ago there was an other update and now things work smooth and the basic thing I built is stable.
Next week I will try some more and different things and I keep you posted

@venekamp
Dank Klaas voor de tip, toevallig zitten we in hetzelfde werkveld

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back