Need to move elements to different groups in joined tables

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having the exact same problem that is outlined in this post: http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.ph...-get-inserted-in-the-left-joined-table.35982/. (Not sure about the protocol re: copying that post in this post)

It is closed, or I would have posted, asking for clarification on how to customize the tabbed template:
  1. to allow placement of elements on any tab and
  2. to allow one repeatable group in the final tab.
If this is not possible, then I can try the suggestion from the above post:

I know the proper way is to duplicate the "joinList1" then call it "person attributes" and then join it on itself. unpublished all elements except for "hair_color".

I know how to duplicate my joined list, but I have no idea how to join it on itself or to then have it display in the original joined list's form. Also, won't copying a joined list create a whole mess of unwanted extra forms, elements and groups?

After sleeping on it, I had a second thought:

I have three joined tables accessible via a tabbed form:
  • Tab 1: table 1
  • Tab 2: table 2 left join to table 1, one to one relationship
  • Tab 3: table 3 left join to table 1, one to many relationship with group set to repeating to show all linked values in a list view
Would it be simpler to eliminate table 2 by adding those fields to table 1? If I do this, could I split the fields in (the new ) table 1 in to two groups?

I am having trouble wrapping my head around this one.

Thanks in advance.

Joomla 3.2.3, Fabrik 3.1 updated from git last week.

Would it be simpler to eliminate table 2 by adding those fields to table 1?

If table 2 is just used in this situation then you could eliminate it. If its needed elsewhere obviously eliminating it wont be possible

If I do this, could I split the fields in (the new ) table 1 in to two groups?
Yes that should be possible

I'd back up everything first before starting this type of manipulation:

Id make the new group in list1 first
Then edit each field in list2 and set their group to the newly created group.
delete the join from list1 to list2
delete list2

Follow up to close this one out: I tried eliminating table two, and that allowed me to split the tabs in table 1; however, it turns out that the left join one-to-one from table 1 to table 2 was actually a one to many scenario, so I had records in table 1 that did not include consistent corresponding data from table 2.

The end solution was to split table two into multiple tables (organized by grouping needs) and then left join each of those table two progeny back to table 1. This makes the initial data import more complicated, but when now when tables 2, 2.1, 2.2, etc. are updated, those updated values show in all corresponding records in table 1. In essence, I worked around the table join single group issue by creating my groups as separate tables and then linking them all individually to the main table.

Reactions: rob
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back