Noob question about form functions

Harm Millaard

Sorry for such a range of utter noob questions, but this is my first exposure to Joomla and fabrik and I'm running into some problems that I can't find an answer to. Maybe you can help me.

Background:
The form is to be used by many people using the same instructions, resulting in some elementary questions, but with two files attached that usually will have the same name, 'Speccy.xml' and 'Output.csv'.
I want to save those uploaded files in two directories, but each with a unique identifier.

For instance: A user fills out the form and saves it. He gets an (auto-increment) ID of 327. His files should be saved in the directory '/PPBM7/speccy as 'Speccy327.xml' and /PPBM7/output as 'Output327.csv'

It should not result in error messages when a user fills out the form with the same file names that have been used by other users earlier, or overwrite existing data files.

Additionally, I want a copy of the form to be send to the sender as confirmation. How can I do that?

The picture below shows my most pressing problems about layout, and error messages. All field are required. When filling out the form it works except the two elements for the attached files, that use the file-upload plugin. These elements have the action 'notempty' in the validation, but when one enters a link to the file it still results in an error message that the file is required. However when you press the SAVE button at the bottom of the form, the results are accepted and entered into the database.

ONE major problem though: Once the form has been submitted and saved succesfully, a index.html file is created in the root directory, stating: 'Nothing to see here. Move along.' How can I prevent that from happening?

Finally, can you direct me to some tutorials or other info on the best way to extract specific info from a .xml file to enter into a mySQL database and inserting the .csv data into the database using fabrik.

I'm sure there will follow more questions and maybe I'll even upgrade to Bronze or Silver support to get me started, but if I can get somewhat to grips with fabrik, that would be nice. Anyway, thanks for your patience.

BTW, the site I'm developing is http://ppbm7.com You need to be registered to access the Submit your results page.

fabrik%20form.png

Attachments

• fabrik error.png
    fabrik error.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 294
Best is to check page source and CSS classes with firefox+firebug.

Red star: do you have enabled WYSIWYG editor for element labels and the editor is inserting default <p> around the label (as it is done by TinyMCE)?
Tiptext should be aligned to the label, maybe your Joomla template is defining some CSS.

Red star: Yes and <p>...</p> is automatically inserted and can not be removed. If you disable the wysiwig editor, problem solved.

What about the error messages that are displayed when there should not be any error message and why that idiotic 'index.html' insertions in the root of the site?

The Joomla template is the standard Beez_20 template. Where could this be defined, which CSS file?

ONE major problem though: Once the form has been submitted and saved succesfully, a index.html file is created in the root directory, stating: 'Nothing to see here. Move along.' How can I prevent that from happening?

This message usually has to do with the file upload element and the file path settings. Check out this post - I think it will help.

Angela

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back