Search by filter error

OK, I've narrowed it down, unfortunately it's in a somewhat disputed area of code, where me and Rob are going back and forth on a few lines of code. Around line 3872 in the main element model, in getFilterHiddenFields() ...

Code:
        /**
         * $$$ hugh - these two lines are preventing the "exact match" setting on an element filter working,
         * as we always end up with an = condition, so exact match No nev er works.  I've "fixed" it by just using
         * the element's getFilterCondition(), but I don't know what side effects this might have.
         * So BOLO for filtering oddities!
         * $condition = JArrayHelper::getValue($filters, 'condition', array());
         * $condition = JArrayHelper::getValue($condition, $counter, $this->getFilterCondition());
        */

// Rob - reverting Hugh's comment. Its not right
        $condition = $this->getFilterCondition();

/**
         * If no post/querystring condition has been set use the getFilterCondition()
         * If we don't do that then a querystring url on foo>5 gets munged to foo=5 on a page navigation
         */

//$condition = JArrayHelper::getValue($filters, 'condition', array());
        //$condition = JArrayHelper::getValue($condition, $counter, $this->getFilterCondition());

In the above, I've re-commented out Rob's re-un-commenting out of his commented out ... oh, I don't know ... anyway, I've "fixed" it on your site with the above code change. But that's not a fix, as obviously Rob found a case that my original fix broke ... so I need to work out a fix that fixes your issue, without breaking Rob's issue ...

Anyway ... if you update your site again before I get this resolved, you'll need to re-apply the above change in ./components/com_fabrik/models/element.php.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh

Yes, I checked it and works now as you said..:)
However I will wait for the final fix!
Thanks!!

I'm still not entirely sure how to work round this.

rob - any suggestions?

The band aid above, by re-instating my non-fix, is really just that - a bandaid. It basically bypasses a chunk of code later on, which is where the error shows up.

The main issue seems to be that we aren't quoting the values when we build an "IN (...)" clause for a join element's filter.

Is there any performance reason, or other MySQL-ish reason, for not quoting the values of an "IN (...)" clause, i.e. removing the assumption that we are dealing with INT's?

So is IN(1,2,3) for an INT any faster than IN('1','2','3')? If not, this would seem a simpler fix than trying to determine if the key we are dealing with is numeric or string.

-- hugh

not sure what that code you commented on has to do with quoting values? If I remember correctly the issue was that the condition was not being set correct. Catch me on skype to disucss

Trying to get you on Skype atm.

As I said in my previous post, the band aid above only "fixes" Dimo's filter problem by masking it. With my original fix, Dimo's filter uses an '=' and the value gets quotes (which I think is what it should do, iirc he has exact match and dropdown, which should result in a straight up = condition). Without my (commented out) fix, it uses an "IN" and doesn't quote the value, which blows up.

Rather than jump in an start quoting everything in that IN() code, I wanted to check with you if there's a reason we don't just quote all values we use in IN() clauses, given that numbers will match with or without quotes, so it would seem to be like it doesn't really matter. So I'm asking if there is a reason we don't just quote everything.

-- hugh

couldn't say - may it be that they are conditionally quoted else where before getting to that piece of code? If not then quoting them won't be an issue.

I know i re-worked some of that code hugh posted above, but it wasn't with respect to this issue, I'll get Hugh to look at this one again.

thi sis what Hugh said to me:

"I've tried several times to replicate that issue, can't.
[00:18:46] Hugh Messenger: So ... any objection if I just go ahead and quote all FK values when building conditions?
[00:19:13] Hugh Messenger: AND (foo.bar IN ('1', '2', '3'))
[00:20:11] Hugh Messenger: there's an asusmption somewhere int eh code somewhere about integer FK's, but I can't seem to track down what causes it."

I said I don't have an issue with tat - so I guess he'll be working on that today

Hey Dimo,

I may or may not have fixed this. :)

But as I've never been able to actually replicate your issue, I don't know if I've fixed the right bit of code, and I don't want to commit anything till I've tested something that it actually has an effect on.

Can you find my on Skype, and we'll run some tests on your site, so you can tell me for sure if it's fixed.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back