[SOLVED] Organising file uploads

I have a list with a couple of file upload elements. One is for a single image, so does not use Ajax, and the other is for displaying multiple images in a slideshow, so Ajax is enabled. Faced with potentially hundreds of images, I've been looking for a way to organise them into separate folders. I know I can use placeholders to define specific folders, but for the Ajaxified element I can't use element placeholders, which would be the ideal. Using {date} or similar is not the best option (though probably the only one!).

As the single element will always be saved first, I thought I'd found a way around this if I use an element placeholder for the single image element, then enable the "Allow subfolder selection" option for the slideshow element. But alas, the "Allow subfolder element" option does not work with Ajaxified file upload elements!

So two questions:
1) Has anyone ever found a satisfactory way to organise fileupload images, apart from using {date} (or similar) placeholders?
2) Can someone update the wiki about the "Allow subfolder selection" option not working with Ajax?

Thank you!

It seems at least with the GitHub version element placeholders can now be used. (Upload is going into /tmp and moved to the folder on save)

It seems at least with the GitHub version element placeholders can now be used. (Upload is going into /tmp and moved to the folder on save)
It should be already in Fabrik3.10. Following the GitHub comments you must set "Use WiP" to get this behaviour.

Last edited:
It works like a charm! Thanks so much for finding this @troester
The "Allow subfolder selection" option still doesn't work but I don't need it now.
Does the wiki need updating with this great piece of news?

(Note for anyone else looking for a solution: if your element name placeholder contains spaces, Fabrik will create the media folder and even save the images into it, but Joomla (at least Joomla 3.10) won't let you open the media folder. I had to create a new hidden calc field to strip out the spaces and use this as the placeholder in the Upload Directory.)

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back