JUser Plugin: Data source for Group Element

I want to build joomla user management on frontend for my users so that they don't have to login on administrator side.

Just for your information:
AFAIK the JUser plugin supports only users with a single group at the moment.

Yes I realize that for now it only support single group, but I confused there's no group id on jusers table. That's why I ask this question, what should I use to assign group?

Updating the juser plugin to manage the new multiple group membership in 2.5 is on our list. We started looking at doing in during the 1.6 / 1.7 phase of J!'s transition to 2.5, but at that point the group handling in J! simply wasn't set in concrete or well enough understood.

Now we've had some time to fully understand it, we'll be updating juser soon. I'm currently working on the 'access' element so bring it in to line with 2.5, and that will form the basis of managing multiple memberships.

-- hugh

probably when Hugh or I need it, or someone pays us to do it to be honest :) The way things are at the moment there is little free time to embark on this type of work just for the fun of it (I have a feeling its going to be quiet complex to implement well, test etc)

That about sums it up. My use of the word "soon" was relative. As in "as soon as I get enough time, once we have thrashed all the teething issues out of 3.x".

Can't give an ETA, sorry.

-- hugh

probably when Hugh or I need it, or someone pays us to do it to be honest :) The way things are at the moment there is little free time to embark on this type of work just for the fun of it (I have a feeling its going to be quiet complex to implement well, test etc)
This is too funny.

So if the user plugin does not work with changes made since Joomla 1.6, then why even include it in the 3.0 package (until it does)? Or at least put a check during the install of the plugin so that it cannot be installed on Joomla 1.6+. (You do know you can check what version of Joomla is being run? LOL)

Sometimes I thing you guys just like to aggravate your users.

And so now you?re trying to bribe us into finding the time to do it? Having $$$ is going to suddenly magically create the time needed? Either you have the time or you don?t. This silly notion that you must drop all other development to cater only to your paying customers is going to be your ruin. Did you ever think of the scores of other potential new customers who are turned off by the quirks and bugs that you let slide in the meantime?

The user plugin does work it just hasn't got the feature being requested at the moment.

Fabrik isn't a full time job for Hugh or Rob, so I'm not sure what you expect them to do to pay the rent!

Please see the link below, I would hardly call this letting things slide.

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/graphs/

Baur,

The juser plugin works just fine. We simply haven't had time to implement the ability to add the user to multiple groups on creation.

And as I have explained to you many times, we prioritize new feature additions primarily based on the number of users requesting them. So far, this is the first request I can recall for that ability.

I am also totally confused by your objections to us offering to add new features on a paid basis. This is what we do for a living. Nobody has EVER, in the history of Fabrik, complained about us offering to implement features on a paid basis, if it's something they need in a hurry, and isn't on our immediate road map.

Consider this a last warning. If you continue to launch these kinds of unfounded, factually inaccurate, personal attacks on us, I will simply ban you from these forums. I've had enough.

-- hugh

Sorry, but can you PM me how much it cost and how long it takes to develop it?

Can you confirm that what you need is the ability to add the user to multiple groups, rather than the single group we currently allow, along with a graphical widget of the J! group hierarchy allowing multiple selections?

Or are you just looking for a way to display the list of available groups to choose one from when filling out the form?

-- hugh

See responses in Red

This is too funny.

So if the user plugin does not work with changes made since Joomla 1.6, then why even include it in the 3.0 package (until it does)? Or at least put a check during the install of the plugin so that it cannot be installed on Joomla 1.6+. (You do know you can check what version of Joomla is being run? LOL)
It works for me! I am very happy with the results...

Sometimes I thing you guys just like to aggravate your users. aggravate users? This is open source... contribute... make it happen with a contribution... they are more than willing to accept a solution produced by others for a user need...

And so now you?re trying to bribe us into finding the time to do it? Bribe? Should it not be viewed as services rendered? In this case it, Rob's statement is more like who else would like this as a priority... If so can you offer us some resources so we can put this as a priority and for us to apply a dedicated effort (maybe pay someone else to help with this or other coding changes). Are they here to cater to an individual's need or the over all community? It's pretty simple to understand that with limited resources... (these guys are here nearly 16-20 hours a day 7 days a week) not all things are going to get done immediately. There has to a be a priority list. They try to accommodate needs that seem to be a priority for the overall product. They are on a treadmill of maintenance of a new implementation on a foundation that is ever changing in Joomla. Cut them some slack... offer solutions instead of ridicule...

Having $$$ is going to suddenly magically create the time needed? Either you have the time or you don?t. That is the issue... resources are scarce... simple!This silly notion that you must drop all other development to cater only to your paying customers is going to be your ruin. Something has to be dropped if you are already maxed out with what you are juggling... what is so hard to understand about that notion? I think your complaint should be turned in to a challenge or call for resources to help out... not condemn... Can you contribute? Do you have some coding skills? Could you provide resources to allow another coder to join the project? These two have dedicated themselves to this project. It is something that will save others money if they learn and contribute to its success. It can replace products many have already paid for but in most cases those products do not fit their needs and end up paying someone to hack the core of the paid products. This on the other hand allows you to develop an application within the framework of joomla that is transparent to the user. No link backs... no subscription fees, no ads....

Did you ever think of the scores of other potential new customers who are turned off by the quirks and bugs that you let slide in the meantime? Again contribute! This is open source... it will work only with contributions meaning get to contributing, Test it, learn it, provide coding to help provide solutions, document it and improve it. Obvious there are limited resources and something has to determine the work queue. I think the majority understand this concept and accept that there are limited resources and it will take time unless more resources are applied. Which could be money to hire!

Hi hugh, i need to be able to add user (multiple groups)

I can't give you an exact estimate right this minute. First thing I need to finish is updating the 'access' element, so we have a reliable way of selecting the access levels.

Then I can look at what all is involved in updating juser.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back