svn 859, user receipt trouble

snkahn1

hi,

i thought i was done being a pain in the butt, but my user-receipt functionality has stopped working- it was working just fine until i updated to fix another issue. . . . i updated to svn 859, and that didn't solve it. in the 'from' field in my form, i have {username_email} but in the moderator inbox, it says the emails are from the storytime moderator, and it also doesn't send the user a copy.

thanks,

sarah

Strange, I can't think of anything we've done in recently to change any of that.

Can you PM me the usual details, so i can take a look?

-- hugh

Ah.

Well, while I haven't yet looked at why behaviour changed in Fabrik, the first issue is that you really shouldn't use the user-centric email as the "From". This can cause problems outside of Fabrik's control, especially by falling foul of any changes in anti-spam policies in the underlying mail software (at both ends, sending and receiving). For instance, your hosts mail system may suddenly decide that it should only send mail originating from a valid mailbox on your system. If you've set the From address to joe@some.site, suddenly things stop working.

What you are seeing could conceivably be exactly that - someone has changed the way the mail system at your end handles From addressing.

So ... before I start working out if this is a Fabrik problem, could you try giving it an existing mailbox in your domain as the From (just type the address, don't use {element}), and see what happens.

-- hugh

hi hugh,

i did try changing the from email (on the email only version of the form), and i'm still seeing the same problem- the administrator copy gets sent, but the submitting user does not receive a copy, and the username/email don't appear in the emailed receipt. also- one of the forms is locked by your account, if you could please pop in and unlock it?

thanks. . .

I'll carry on investigating. Of course, it all still works fine on my test/dev server. I hate these porblems, LOL!

I've checked those items back in. BTW, I presume you know about "Global Check In" under the System menu? Although you do have to be logged in as a super admin to get see it.

-- hugh

We're getting the "Failed sending" error message, which means that Fabrik handed the mail off to Joomla for delivery, using the built in mosMail() function, but for whatever reason, it couldn't be delivered. I tried switching your Joomla's mail method to be 'sendmail', but that didn't help.

Can you PM me the path to your Fabrik install within Joomla? I'm trying to use JoomlaExplorer to locate our stuff so I can throw some debug code in, but it's not at all obvious where I need to be looking ... quite a few top level directories there ...

-- hugh

hi,

thanks so much for looking at this. the path is /storytime/components/com_fabrik/ and hopefully you should recognize it from there.

hi again,

just wanted to check and see if you found out anything? i'm afraid to login and touch things until i hear from you :)

thanks so much for all your help!

I'm trying to find some time today to carry on working on this one.

Seems like you aren't the only one with issues ... hope to have a fix soon.

-- hugh

Thanks so much. I saw the changes that you made, and it looks like its sending to the administrator, and the user, but its not sending a copy of the record to the user, only an email.

Just to let you know I'm still trying to work this one out, spent another hour or so on it last night.

-- hugh

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I've only done it on a much more simplistic scale, but I know debugging is the worst.

Ah, here it is! I was trying to find this thread to update it yesterday.

Could you update to the latest SVN?

The other person who was reporting problems said it fixed it for him, although all I did was add some debug output.

If that doesn't fix it, could you follow the instructions I gave here:

http://fabrikar.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=9&topic=2203.msg11017#msg11017

... and add the $mail to the 'global' list in mosMail(). Then try submitting your form again, and there should be some informative error message added to the "Failed sending ..." one.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,

I made the changes. The problem is, I'm not getting an errors. It's not failing to send the email, its just failing to include the data. ie, the user is receiving an email, but its blank, instead of including their copy of the submitted record. I have updated to the latest svn, and added $mail to the joomla.php file.

Thanks!

Well thats strange because when I submit the form, I always get:

Failed sending receipt to hugh@xxxxx.com ()!Failed sending email to bsturm@xxxxxx.org

Anyway ... I think the reason it's sending a blank is that you haven't built the response in the Receipts section. The Receipt mail isn't like the "email to" one, which automatically includes a simple formatted list of all the labels/values from the form. The Receipt only sends what you tell it to in the "Message to send to specified email address" box. If you want to include certain fields from their submission, you have to do it by hand, using the {element_name} syntax.

Basically, the Receipt mailing option is to allow you to get creative with HTML formatted responses, so we leave it entirely up to you what the message says.

-- hugh

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the clarification :)

It really did work for two test emails yesterday (ie, admin received a copy as well as user), but it has gone back to not working, so it must have been a fluke? Or there is some setting that I'm missing? The email receipt is just getting ignored, but there aren't any error messages being output. I tried putting the element {user_email} next to the admin email so that users could get a copy that way, and it worked exactly once. So I removed that. I tried toggling between PHP mailer and sendmail as well. It's still the same problem though, admin receives an email, and user does not.

In the meantime, I have my site moderator sending forwards of his copy to users, but that's not a long-term solution. . .

I shall keep troubleshooting this for you then.

Do you mind if I make a small change to your core joomla.php, so I can better debug the problem? Can you make sure I actually have access to that?

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,

Please feel free to do whatever you need to. Joomxplorer has a bookmark in it labelled "Fabrik" that links to the joomla installation, and you should have permissions to touch whatever you need to. Just let me know which files you update, in case they are ones that I had added other modifications to. Thanks so much for all you work on this, it is much appreciated!

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back