audit talble and transactions in fabrik.

zorzis

hello,
as said with rob, i'll need to use on delete characteristics in my database use with fabrik, like existing features as in user element, ip element, date element.

also in audit i wll need some guidness too.

and generally if anyone can describe me a way to guide me to a transaction option, like to see what changes have been done, what deletions, what adds.
a way maybe to rollback to the previous states if possible.

a way to have the absolute control of what is happening and the option to get back to lost data, if data is lost.

also some infos: if a procedure to store some data is stoped to a point, that will be shown as a successfull database entry or it will show an error?

is anyone able here to give me some answers on that questions and maybe some help of how to do that?
thanx zorzis

It's a VERY large issue, and not something we can just give you pointers on, or solve with a few little code changes.

We are currently working on a branch of our code which provides a basic level of journaling / auditing, but we don't expect it to be ready any time "real soon".

We do have a "log" form plugin, which can record form loads, creations and edits, but it was written a long time ago, by one of our user as his first attempt at writing a Fabrik plugin, and it has many issues. It's one of those things we simply need to rewrite from the ground up.

if a procedure to store some data is stoped to a point, that will be shown as a successfull database entry or it will show an error?

We don't support 'transactions', 'rollbacks', etc as those are InnoDb specific features, and we currently only support the MyISAM engine. Our individual row updates are atomic, so we just INSERT or UPDATE in one query. But if you have joined tables, and an INSERT or UPDATE failes on a joined table row, which happen after the main row is stored, we will simply error out, and will NOT undo the main table operation.

Bottom line, things like transaction processing, rollbacks, etc need to be built in to a database app from day one. Fabrik grew out of a simple form submission extension, and was never really intended to provide "mission critical" level database handling.

If you really need those things "now", then Fabrik may not be your best option. You may need to write an app from scratch. We are sketching out ideas for Fabrik 4, which would be a new product built from the ground up, but that's year(s) away.

In the short to medium term, the best we'll be able to do is basically an audit trail, showing who did what, and (maybe) a rollback facility, to undo or re-apply changes.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back