Cascading dropdown changing source data

PvN94

Say I have a cascading dropdown, first I have a dropdown "brand", with brand 1, brand 2 etc. Then a cascading dropdown "model", with model 1, model 2, etc, each model record has a field "brand" to use in the cascading option.
When I change model 1 to be from brand 2 instead of brand 1, and I want to search it in the list of orders (where the brand and model are selected in the dropdowns) it doesn't show up after selecting either brand 1 or brand 2 in the filter, i'm guessing because in the "order" record the saved value is brand 1 -> model 1, which is invalid now.
Is there a way to make it so that these "order" records are updated automatically in this case, or am I going to have to write some php to do the update when a model is assigned to a different brand?

Yes, you guessed right. Once you change the FK (foreign key) of a row in the CDD table (in your case changing the brand a model belongs to), that invalidates any existing data in forms that have that model (with the original brand) selected.

You'll need to write a little form submission script for your 'models' form, running 'onAfterProcess' (for edit) which modifies all existing orders to change the 'brand' selection to the new one. Something like ...

Code:
// get the model ID
$modelId = $formModel->formData['models___id_raw'];
// get the brand id (and check if it's an array, p'cos it's a join element)
$brandId = $formModel->formData['models___brand_id_raw'];
$brandId = is_array($brandId) ? $brandId[0] : $brandId;
// get db and query objects
$myDb = JFactory::getDbo();
$myQuery = $myDb->getQuery(true);
// execute query to change brand on all orders with matching model and non-matching brand
$myQuery->update('orders')
   ->set('brand_id = ' . $db->quote($brandId))
   ->where('model_id = ' . $myDb->quote($modelId))
   ->where('brand_id != ' . $myDb->quote($brandId));
$myDb->setQuery($myQuery);
$myDb->execute();

Obviously change your element / table / field names to suit. Leave the _raw on the end of the element names though.

However ... personally, I wouldn't change brands on existing models. I would create a new model, with the correct brand. But that's obviously down to your "process". I just prefer to maintain order records as a historical record. If the customer ordered an Acme widget, I want that order to show that's what they ordered, if it was ordered prior to becoming an American Anvils widget.

-- hugh

Yeah, the brands and models is just what I was using for testing the possibilities. The eventual idea would be to have persons belonging to groups, and using the cascading dropdowns to create dynamic list filters, so when I select group1 as a filter, the persons filter is restricted to those in group1.

Anyway, thanks for the answer and example

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back