Create new users via import CSV & juser

Hi,

I've been searching through threads and came upon a couple that said creating new users / updating users (Joomla! users, that is) is not possible via the CSV import option for lists.

We have the need for regularly updating (6-7 times annually) a user list that is going to be used as an employee directory on a J!-powered intranet site. Users should not have to register themselves, and should have accounts created / maintained via a CSV import.

Some of the threads referenced a "tablecsv" plugin, but were from 2010 / 2011... Obviously, that's quite a while ago now.

Are there any good options for accomplishing what we're looking for? Am I missing something in the configuration?

I look forward to your follow up / feedback!

Cheers

Kyle

hi
the plug-ins been renamed to listcsv, it should be available in github.
I had a go at updating the create user code, which you can see a readme of how to use in the file:

plugins/fabrik_list/listcsv/scripts/create_client_user.php'

Code:
/**
 * Some example code for creating J! users when importing CSV file.
 * Instructions:
 * 1) Install the listcsv plugin, and add it to the List you are importing to.
 * 2) Copy and rename this file, to whatever name you want, in the same directory,
 * to avoid having your changes overwritten next time you update Fabrik.
 * 3) Modify the REQUIRED 'changethis' options below to match your full element names.
 * 4) Set any of the OPTIONAL options below.
 * 5) On your List plugin settings for the List CSV plugin, select the renamed file from step 2
 * 6) Run your CSV import.  This plugin will run once for each row being imported, and
 * attempt to either create or modify a J! user accordingly. Modification occurs if username already exists
 */

You might also try using cbjuice from the JED. It does exactly what you are trying to do (but only from the admin end). I think it requires Community Builder to be installed as well but you need not actually use CB.

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay in follow up here. So we've testing on J!3 now, and have everything setup the way we need it. When installing, and following the steps from above for the listcsv plugin, it ends up throwing a 500 server error on the front end when trying to access the list itself (can't even get to the CSV import portion of it). Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

Cheers

Kyle

Hey Rob,

Just realized that this may now be better suited by going over to the J!3 forum instead. Would you like me to repost there, or could we move this? Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Thanks much!

Cheers

Kyle

Hey there,

Okay, so I update the config file to spit out all errors whenever they happen and get this for the error when using the listcsv plugin on a list:

Warning: Missing argument 2 for plgFabrik_List::button(), called in /var/www/vhosts/sitename.com/plugins/fabrik_list/listcsv/listcsv.php on line 49 and defined in /var/www/vhosts/sitename.com/components/com_fabrik/models/plugin-list.php on line 99 Warning: Missing argument 3 for plgFabrik_List::button(), called in /var/www/vhosts/sitename.com/plugins/fabrik_list/listcsv/listcsv.php on line 49 and defined in /var/www/vhosts/sitename.com/components/com_fabrik/models/plugin-list.php on line 99 Fatal error: Call to a member function getParams() on a non-object in /var/www/vhosts/sitename.com/components/com_fabrik/models/plugin-list.php on line 101

Any thoughts?

erm so what version of Fabrik are you using? 3.1 with the latest code from github?

Hi Rob,

Just wanted to let you know that I updated to the latest files from Github and now get a new error when trying to do this (less errors overall though, so progress ??? )

Here's the error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /var/www/vhosts/site.com/plugins/fabrik_list/listcsv/listcsv.php on line 63

Let me know your thoughts when you have them :)

Thanks much!

Cheers

Kyle

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the follow up; however, now we receive the following error message:

Strict Standards: Non-static method JFilterInput::clean() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /var/www/vhosts/site.com/plugins/fabrik_list/listcsv/listcsv.php on line 62

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

Cheers

Kyle

Can you try changing that line referenced in the error to:

PHP:
$file = JFilterInput::getInstance()->clean($params->get('listcsv_import_php_file'), 'CMD');

Let me know if that works, I'll change it in github.

-- hugh

Hi Hugh,

Holy moly, sorry for the delay?completely missed your reply. I updated and it results in a blank white page. Turning on dev reporting does not provide me with any errors at all....

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

Sorry Hugh,

To follow up on my previous message, we have also updated to J! 3.2 and the rc2 release (as of today) of Fabrik and all associated plugins / modules / etc.

Cheers!

Kyle, in my experience a white page often means a syntax error in the code, i.e. a missing closing bracket or semi-colon. Recheck the code you hand modified to make sure all brackets, braces, quotes etc. are matched.

It's definitely not that JFilterInput change causing it, we use that same line of code all over the place in Fabrik. I've actually just committed that change to github.

So yeah, I'd say it was a bug in the code your listcsv plugin is trying to run.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back