Encrypt connection passwords

Okay... I was trying to encrypt the fabrik connection password as Rob suggested in the link I posted above.
Again: https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/commit/dcdffe28eff7c3a95a37fed90cee55f90f8950b3

My problem:
Only Superusers should know the database password but all administrators can see it if they go to Fabrik Connections > Site Database and inspect the element "Password" (as you can see attached).

We tried the fixes #445 Encrypt connection passwords (linked) but it didn't work.
We are using Joomla 2.5 and Fabrik 3.0.9.1

Attachments

• fabrik connections.JPG
    fabrik connections.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 394
Oh, I didn't notice the link. I need to change the link shading in the forum CSS. That dark grey just isn't noticeable enough for my Old Man Eye Sight, so I didn't realize the word "this" was a link. I'll take a look.

-- hugh

OK, so ... that code is for 3.1, and I can see a couple of reasons why it wouldn't work as-is for 3.0. But it works fine in 3.1, so all connections in 3.1 which have been created (or edited and saved) since that commit are encrypted in the database, and on the form.

I'll take a look, see what it would take to get it working in 3.0.

Although to be honest, I'm not entirely sure why we even give that password field a value. AFAICT, we should just leave it blank, and only do anything with it if someone fills it out by hand.

-- hugh

Hmmm, I don't quite get our logic in there anyway. I so rarely create or change connection details, I hadn't looked at this in a while.

As we don't pre-fill the confirmation, we force you to type the password in anyway. And there's no point in pre-filling with the encrypted password, as we wouldn't know if what came back in the form was the old encrypted password, or a new plain text one ... without dicking around comparing old and new values. And you obviously can't type the encrypted string in the confirmation.

So ... I think better logic would be what I'd expect it to do in the first place, which is:

Don't pre-fill either password field with anything.

On submit, validate and fail if:

1) Password and confirmation don't match.

2) It's a new row (not editing an existing one) and both are empty.

... and if it's an existing row, and both fields are left blank, just remove the password from the field list for the connection row being updated, so it stays the same.

That way when editing a connection, you can just leave both password fields empty, and nothing changes. And there's never anything prefilled in the form, encrypted or not.

Does that sound about right?

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back