Fabrik 3.5 Roadmap Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

degarrin

Hey guys, I know that Fabrik 3.5 is still a bit off, but I was looking at the Fabrik Roadmap and had a question about the data migration.

According to the Roadmap, the plan is to "change the meta data storage model by migrating the data in the 'meta' database tables into JSON files." My question is, do you know yet how that will work? Will there be an actual migration tool, some part of the upgrade process, or will we have to do it manually? Will we have to rebuild our data? I am just trying to get an idea of what work will be involved in the upgrade so I can plan.

Thanks!
Angela

Yes, if we move to JSON, there would be a migration tool, and it would only affect the "metadata", like the list, form and element metadata in the #_fabrik_lists, _forms and _elements tables. Information about the structure. It wouldn't affect your actual data tables that lists are built on.

We know there was a lot of pain moving from 3.0 to 3.1+, but that was mostly due to some massive changes in J! itself, that required us to change pretty much everything about the way we stored and process backend parameters. As far as we know, no such massive changes are planned in J!, at least until 4.x, so changes in the Fabrik 3 series won't be as drastic.

-- hugh

To be honest I'm not sure where we are with the whole json saving plan. The 3.5 branch became over-adventurous, and was getting quite complicated - a sure sign that the initial ideas I was trying to implement weren't sound.
I'm still mulling over the best way to go about it, and in the mean time slowing porting over some of the less crazy ideas that were in the 3.5 branch back into the main code base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back