getting there, need a little more help please,

Racmitch

hey guys, I getting there with fabrik, most of my issues so far have been mostly due to my lack of knowledge, so please bear with me. I have now made a form that works properly and has the correct acl permissions to do what I want it to do, so, i'm having trouble with some display issues, hopefully I can explain this correctly.
I embedded the form in an article using this syntax {fabrik view=list id=2} which showed the records in a list, but it was not sitting correctly on the page (see below image 1) Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 3.32.47 PM.png
I don't know how get it to show maybe only the 1st 2 questions and not keep crawling to all of them,
so i changed the syntax to {fabrik view=form id=2} and the form now sits on the page as a full form, which is actually better for this application, however now once a user hits save, i don't know how to have them come back to see the completed form, like you could do in the "list" syntax?(image #3) Is there an addition line of code for the syntax i used to do this, or do I have to make a list syntax as well? And thirdly, when a user wants to view form with the magnifying glass, where you select the magnifying glass and click "view" it gives a 500 error (image #2)...kinsa lost here, any help would be appreciated.Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 3.33.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 3.32.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-03 at 6.47.44 PM.png

i mentioned the 500 error i get when I click on the magnifying glass to view, but forgot to list the error, here it is :
Error: 500 - Layout default not found

thanks Rob, I think, lol...now i'm even more confused...I kinda get what it will do, but I have to figure it out to see exactly what it will do, i guess..lol...i maybe over complicating what i thought was a simple process of having a blank form on a page that a user can add info to and then see/edit the form once they are completed, I'm i over complicating it? For the 500 error, I have read over the wiki and looked in the server directories to make sure the different "details" templates were installed in the view directory and they are, but if I choose anyone but default i get that 500 error, if I choose the default the error goes away but the only view I get is the header for the form? any suggestions?

If I choose the default template in forms>details I get just the headerScreen Shot 2014-02-04 at 7.23.50 PM.png

If I choose any other template in the form>details it get thisScreen Shot 2014-02-04 at 7.25.25 PM.png

I have looked in the directories as described in the wiki and all template options are there

I made a video explaining how to do it

http://screencast.com/t/SyEMHtIdJ1hh

The important part is to attach '&rowid={rowid}' to the jump page url - {rowid} is replaced with the record id you create when the form is saved.
So in the video, after I save the record my jump page url becomes:

http://localhost/fabrik31x/my-main-page.html?rowid=1

Then in the {fabrik....} declaration you can load the same record with the part "rowid=[rowid]"
The content plugin replaces [rowid] with the querystring's rowid value

the thing is as soon as you embed a form within an article things automatically start to become a little more complicated.

If you fill in your site details here: http://fabrikar.com/you/my-sites/ (only staff and yourself can see them) with an admin and ftp account, and tell me where to look for the default template issue, I'll investigate further.

-Rob

Is this a situation where you only ever want each user to have one form? Kind of like a "profile" form, so each user has their "own" form from the list?

-- hugh

yes, basically, one form, but editable/viewable by owner only. I did get help setting up a prefilter to do this and that parts seems to be working fine. it is not employed on the url I gave you guys yet, just in a test platform, but the prefilter on the test platform works.

Odd I couldn't replicate this issue on my local site, (the ftp account you added to mysites seems to go to a blank user folder and not the site's directory so I couldn't debug why that was -could you chekc those credentials please?)
The issue is with the 'dreams' element which is set to show in details view when the user has created it. Normally I'd suggest doing that with a prefilter instead, so that only users see their own records, in both the list and details view.

i up dated the ftp account for you sorry, it added a directory on close and I didn't see it. The dreams section on that site doesn't have the prefilter applied to it yet, we tested it on our testing server and it worked this is the config for the prefilter we were told to use and it seems fine,Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 9.07.50 AM.png We are working on the display issues we are having before we add that prefilt to all the forms on the site, basically we are trying to make 2 forms for this site, the dreams "text area" type form and if you look in the mental development section there is a questionnaire that is more involved, once we have both working an displaying correctly they will be duplicated about 12 times each in the course(with different questions) but it's the "style" of these to form we will be replicating not the content. So once we can figure out these issue we are pretty much set to add the additional forms to the course.

So where are we at with this?

FYI, when building a "profile" style form, it's often useful to provide a form menu link, rather than a filtered list, using the "rowid=-1/usekey" trick. Normally, Fabrik form links use the PK (primary key, or 'rowid') to specify which form to view / edit. Which bears no relation to the user's J! user ID.

So ... on a menu item for the Fabrik form, under the advanced options, if you set Rowid to -1, this tells us to use the logged on user'd J! userid as the "rowid". If you also set the "use key" to the (short) name of the user element on that form, then when that menu item is selected, it'll load the form "owned" by that user. So for instance, if the logged on user is J! userid 123, and your user element is called 'userid', the query we select the row with ends up being "WHERE userid = 123".

This trick enabled you to provide a direct form menu link to the users "profile", without having to present a list with just one row visible in it.

-- hugh

I understand what you are saying with using the menu link, however this course could have up to 30 fabrik forms associated with it, so that would mean 30 menu items? which could just really convolute the pages and make it really confusing for those taking the course, jumping from text to find a particular form in a menu. right now our biggest concern is the 500 errors we are getting just trying to display the forms, as listed above at the start of this thread with the "view" button, and I tried turning on the print, email and pdf functions for a form and am now getting a new 500 error when print and pdf are turned on, the email one seems to work the error for these isScreen Shot 2014-02-07 at 11.24.43 AM.png
and on the site
and also one on the live site that says 500 error occurred can not find
Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 11.30.23 AM.png
I'm starting to think fabrik didn't install correctly? I am getting these error just by simply assigning a view menu and turning on options in the fabrik system. so that is something I really need to correct first. then once the form is just working properly move into filters and permissions. Our compnay would be willing to paid to have this corrected and these 2 forms working properly as they are used through out the course. Is that something you can do?

i have gone back to our testing site that we first installed fabrik on and I don't get the 500 errors on that site, and i went line for line with the form configuration and it is the same, it's on the same server, using the same template and the testing site actually has more 3rd party components installed then the live site, I'm stuck

The DOMPDF issue is probably because you haven't uploaded it. Have you done a full github update? We don't include the DOMPDF library in our main install ZIP, because it's huge (about 12MB last time I looked, mostly font files), so we simply include it in our github repo, for you to upload if you need PDF.

OK, so which front end link do I need to go to to see the 500 issue? I've poked through quite a few front end links and articles on the backend, but I don't see anything which has the list in it.

It'd probably be easier if you used to the Live Chat link or found me on Skype ('cheesegrits').

-- hugh

no i didn't do a github update, didn't know I needed it, but will, I can install it right on top of the current fabrik install already on the site? and did you mean with " for you to upload if you need PDF." for you to upload IT you need FTP? when is a good time to catch you on chat or skype, I am in the US near Philadelphia and I know you are over seas correct? To find the 500 error log in the site with the credentials I supplied and go to dream inventory check mark the box to the right to "view" with the magnifying glass and you will see it "attached"Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 8.10.36 AM.png

My hours are a little erratic, as I tend to work nights for a while, then rotate through to days. I think we've spoken several times since this thread was last updated, though. If I'm awake, I'm logged in to the Zopim chat dashboard, and will always answer if I possibly can. I'm trying to move away form using Skype directly, although if you are desperate and can
t get me through Zopim, you can try Skype - so if I'm on the road, or otherwise not at my desk, I may be logged in to Skype on my phone.

To update to latest github, and get the DOMPDF libs, grab this ZIP:

https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik/archive/master.zip

(It's the "Download ZIP" link reference on the main Fabrik github page, at https://github.com/Fabrik/fabrik)

Unzip it locally, then upload everything to your server via ftp, such that it overwrites the existing files (so don't upload that top level folder in the unzipped structure, go inside that and upload the actual J! folder structure). There's a lot of files, so it takes a while.

If you want, you can skip uploading the fabrik_build folder, and the various individual files at the top of the root folder (build.xml, etc), and just upload the "normal" J! folders - administrator, components, libraries, media, modules and plugins. Don't worry that you are uploading folders which exist on your server - all you are doing is updating Fabrik files within those folders, there's nothing in that ZIP from J! itself, just Fabrik stuff, and ftp won't delete anything else that exists in those folders.

NOTE - do NOT use any option like "Overwrite if newer" your ftp client of choice may have. make sure you are doing "awlays overwrite". I use FileZilla, which I've found to be the easiest and most reliable ftp cient.

And as usual, if this is a live site, ALWAYS do a full backup before updating. Just to be on the safe side.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back