I want to make a two lists that makes one populate another

wqwi853

I'm trying to make a known offender reporting system. Basically what it does is someone goes in a creates a record of a known offender on one list. This would include things like name, address, known accomplices, etc.

Then I want to have a reporting form/list so records can be put against that offender's database record.

Two databases, two lists.

When someone goes into the "reporting" form/list to create a new incident on a known offender, I want a dropdown that the user can select the offenders record in the other table and prepopulate all the fields in the reporting form.

On top of that, I would like to make a report that when you look up a particular known offender, all the "reports" that were entered on the reporting form/list show up as a sort of history record for that particular person.

Is this possible with fabrik?

Okay, thanks.

I have one list for the actual offender records themselves. I also have a list for complaints against that offender. Do I use a join or do I use the PHP eval to populate the dropdown on the complaint list to grab all the offender records?

Well, is there any good documentation on how to do either a database join or the PHP eval option with examples?

Okay, I am closer to what I want to do. I used php eval to populate my drop down by modifying the example code provided.

My only issue now is that I need the drop down to contain two different columns in the other table such as "first_name" and "last_name".

I can only get the dropdown element to populate with either column but not both at the same time.

Is there a way to concatenate the two columns so they can both populate into the dropdown?

I am able to get the dataset I am looking for using the SQL statement "SELECT CONCAT(last_name,', ',first_name) AS fullname FROM offender_list"

When I put that into the php eval in my dropdown element I get...
"1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1"

lol, one sided conversation here but replacing the single quotes with double quotes fixed the problem.

Not sure why you are using a dropdown with eval. Should be using a join element.

And yes, Community threads tend to be one sided, as I only have a very limited amount of time I can devote to free support.

-- hugh

And in the join element, you would use the "CONCAT label" to create your full name, by giving the arguments you would use in your own CONCAT().

-- hugh

That's fine, I fully understand this is the community forum and I don't expect a rapid response. I just wanted to keep the thread updated as to how I was finally able to accomplish what I was looking for.

I tried doing a join with the dropdown element, I didn't even realize there was an actual join element... I'm still learning. I love this software.

In either case, I was able to accomplish populating my dropdown with two separate fields from a separate list's table and format them in a way that was satisfactory to me.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back