Indent Child Elements from Parent Elements in Dropdown

pkjoshi

I have created a dbjoin element using self join for creating categories & sub-categories. This is working fine.

Only thing I want that the items(category) in drop-down be indented to the right from the parent.
Need some help how I can achieve this?

I am attaching a image here for more clarity.

Attachments

• Category-subcategory-interface.JPG
    Category-subcategory-interface.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 464
perhaps you could achieve that by using a concat label on the dbjoin element. Presumably there is something that will identify a record as a parent or child record so you could use a mySQL "IF" or similar logical structure to construct strings for the labels as either 'Label' for the parent entries, or ' -- Label' for the child entries.

Thanks I will have a go at it the way you have suggested.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Hi Rob,
As per your suggestion I have build up a query which works fine in phpmyadmin, but I am struggling to get it work in fabrik join element.
I have attached the snapshot of the detailed settings.
But I am getting the error like this:

PHP:
getData:Unknown column 'p.path_length' in 'field list' SQL=SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS DISTINCT `categories`.`id` AS `categories___id`, `categories`.`id` AS `categories___id_raw`, `categories`.`date_time` AS `categories___date_time`, `categories`.`date_time` AS `categories___date_time_raw`, `categories`.`category` AS `categories___category`, `categories`.`category` AS `categories___category_raw`, `categories`.`parent` AS `categories___parent_raw`, CONCAT_WS('', CONCAT(REPEAT('-', p.`path_length`), d.`category`)) AS `categories___parent`, `categories`.`id` AS slug , `categories`.`id` AS `__pk_val` FROM `categories` LEFT JOIN `categories` AS `categories_0` ON `categories_0`.`id` = `categories`.`parent` LIMIT 0, 10

Attachments

• concat.jpg
    concat.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 313
It doesn't appear to have picked up your additional joins. And looking at my code where I added this feature, it seems you HAVE to specify the join type, you can't use "JOIN" by itself:

PHP:
/*
* Set up RE of all possible valid MySQL join types, as per join_table spec here:
* http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/join.html
* EXCEPT just 'JOIN' by itself.  Don't ask.
*/
$re = "(LEFT\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(LEFT\s+OUTER\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(RIGHT\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(RIGHT\s+OUTER\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(INNER\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(CROSS\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(STRAIGHT_JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(NATURAL\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(NATURAL\s+LEFT\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(NATURAL\s+RIGHT\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(NATURAL\s+LEFT\s+OUTER\s+JOIN)" .
"|" .
"(NATURAL\s+RIGHT\s+OUTER\s+JOIN)";
So try specifying LEFT JOIN instead of just JOIN.
-- hugh

Thanks Hugh,
I update the query as per your suggestion. It works perfect in the form, but it still throwing error in the list.
PHP:
getData:Unknown column 'p.path_length' in 'field list'
SQL=SELECT DISTINCT `categories`.`id` AS `categories___id`,
`categories`.`id` AS `categories___id_raw`,
`categories`.`date_time` AS `categories___date_time`,
`categories`.`date_time` AS `categories___date_time_raw`,
`categories`.`category` AS `categories___category`,
`categories`.`category` AS `categories___category_raw`,
`categories`.`parent` AS `categories___parent_raw`,
CONCAT_WS('', REPEAT('-', p.`path_length`),
categories_0.`category`) AS `categories___parent`,
`categories`.`path_length` AS `categories___path_length`, `categories`.`path_length` AS `categories___path_length_raw`, `categories`.`crumbs` AS `categories___crumbs`, `categories`.`crumbs` AS `categories___crumbs_raw`, `categories`.`id` AS slug , `categories`.`id` AS `__pk_val` FROM `categories` LEFT JOIN `categories` AS `categories_0` ON `categories_0`.`id` = `categories`.`parent` WHERE `categories`.`id` IN ('1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','10','11','12','13','14','15') AND `categories`.`id` IN ('1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','10')

Settings in my join element are like this:
Concat Label
PHP:
REPEAT('-', p.`path_length`), {thistable}.`category`

Joins where and/or order by statement (SQL)
PHP:
WHERE p.`ancestor` = 1
GROUP BY {thistable}.`iD`
ORDER BYGROUP_CONCAT(crumbs.`ancestor`)

Additional join statements
PHP:
LEFT JOIN cat_closure AS p ON {thistable}.`id` = p.descendant

LEFT JOIN `cat_closure` AS crumbs ON crumbs.`descendant` = p.`descendant`

oh dear :( The additonal join statements are not used in the list view hence the error. Not sure what we can do about that I'll have to discuss it with Hugh
Perhaps a work around would be to create a mySQL view of the data you need and link the database join element to that?

Thanks Rob,
Not sure I understand it completely what you suggest.
Do you mean that I create a mysql view and on form save it is redirected to the list created by mysql view. (looks quite possible).
But how do you add a new record from a list view using the add record icon or for that matter edit a record showing in the list?

Nop, It's not working.
I am able to redirect the form to the list created from mysql view.
But for editing record even though I tried creating the custom link for editing record using usekey, it throws the same error and presents a blank form.

What next Rob, Hugh?
I can't move an inch beyond that i.e. I can add record fine, but can't edit or delete record.

I'll see if I can see what the issue is in list view ... but to be honest, this is somewhat pushing the envelope, with self-joins, and using the concat to produce indented labels using additional joins ... really not the kind of thing we had in mind when we created this element / options ... and to be honest, somewhat outside the scope of "Standard" support.

I'm not sure how you created your view, but I think what Rob had in mind was to create a view which handles inserting the indents at the MySQL level, so you don't have to do the concat / additional joining thing in Fabrik.

-- hugh

Thanks Hugh.
I am not averse to subscribe to professional support if I get the support for the solution I need for this project.(Refer my conversation I started with you in this regard - Business Directory With Fabrik - Oct -19) I am still waiting for your response.
What I am trying to do, what I understand is within the scope of options provided in there i.e. using additional joins which is not picked by list as Rob pointed out.
So I feel I am not asking you for any feature request here which is outside the scope and I am just expecting the options to work as it is expected to work. Please forgive me if I am wrong here.

However as far as this part of the problem I hope I will be able to solve using mysql triggers i.e. I will create a table from mysql view and then update it using php form submission.

But I am still interested for professional support on your response to my conversation with you.
Thanks once again.

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back