List Ordering Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dond

I'm building a site for a disc golf club.
The list in question is for tournament registration. It can be viewed here: http://nndgc.com/dev/Killer-B-s-Registered-Players.html

During the registration period the list will be grouped by PDGA Division and ordered by PDGA #. The Division field is a drop-down and PDGA # is a text field.

Question 1: is it possible to order the divisions by value so that they appear in the list in the exact same order as in the drop-down in the form?

The day of the tournament I will publish fields showing scoring by rounds: RD1, RD2, and Total.
At the present time I cannot get the list or the group to order by Total when it is a calculated field.

Question 2: Is there a possible fix for ordering by a calc field?
Question 3: Is it possible to have the results grouped by division (with the divisions listed in same order as in the drop-down) and ordered by total?

Please note: at present I've created a work around on the total. I created a text field (Total Score) where I type in the calculated value of Total.

Thanks

UPDATE: I changed the division field from a drop-down to a database join and added a numeric start to each label. The ordering now works correctly.
Question: How do I get it to order by the value of the database join so I don't have to have the 01, 02, etc. in the label?

Thanks,
Don

The main problem with ordering by calc's is that we create a calc field as VARCHAR, as we have no way of knowing what data type you need. So it'll always sort alphabetically, not numerically.

When ordering by a join element, I think we'd have to add "Foo (raw)" options for join elements to the element choices, like we do in Pre Filters, and add some special handling in the order by code to order by 'raw' if selected.

For now, your workaround is about the only way to do what you need.

-- hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back