Newbie question - can Fabrik do this?

mrh74

Hi, I'm very new to Joomla and struggling to learn that and have just found Fabrik, which I hope will do what I want to do.

I'm looking to build an application where registered users can update details about themselves on a series of forms.

As I say there are a series of forms which are basically questions, what I want to do is display the current value held against the question for the user, and allow them to input an updated answer and save that to the database. The details they give will eventually form a report to them, but this will be compiled off-line. They will need the ability to leave the process in the middle and come back to it at a later time, so some of the forms will have current and saved updated data.

Sounds simple and I'm sure Fabrik will be able to do it within the Joomla framkework, but before I sepnd another day trying stuff out I'd like someone to say, yes it can be done! Then I'll buy the support and examples etc.

Cheers
Mark

Yes, I think Fabrik can do what you need, if I am understanding your description correctly.

Are the forms going to be 'daisy chained', such that the content of a given form depends on the submitted result from the previous form, or they 'stand alone', with no inter-form dependencies?

We can do either way, but daisy chaining is a little more involved than a standalone collect of forms / tables.

-- hugh

Many thanks for the response, the forms should be standalone, but I'd like to be able to load the next form in the chain when an update/ save is done on the previous.

I'll subscribe tomorrow and have a play with the tutorials.

Cheers
Mark

OK I've finally got around to looking at this and have done the following:

MySQL - created a table that joins jos_user to company
MySQL - created a table that holds report questions and answers by company, primary key Company_id, Report_year, Question_no.

Fabrik - created a table that accesses the report table, joining to the company_users and jos_users and filtered the table of jos_user_id so the signed on user can only see the report records that are applciable to their company. This works well. The primary key of the table in Fabrik is set as the company_id.

I've created a small amount of test data, 3 records for the users company I'm signing on as. However when I update one of the records using the EDIT link and save the udate it is updating ALL the records in the table with the new data, what I want to do is update just the one record that has been clicked on to edit, I think it's something to do with the way I've set up the primary key, but I'm not sure how to fix it?

Any tips?

Cheers
Mark

Thanks for the response, yes the company_id was autoincrementing.

The problem was with that being the PK to the table the update satatement was saying "update table where compnay_id = 99999" hence all records were updated for the company. I've since changed it to have a PK of the report item I'm trying to update and it works OK. I need to make it more polished though, so instead of scrabbling around in the dark I've subscribed and will work through the docs.

I do however seem to have a problem receving e-mail from your guys site, I got a message telling me a mail would be sent once payment was confirmed, I've got no mail ( in fact I've never received an e-mail even for password reminders) but I can sign in to the site and have the docs etc.

Mark

Not sure why we're having problems mailing you, I'll see what I can see.

But yes, the payment did process, and you have full member access.

-- hugh

We are in need of some funding.
More details.

Thank you.

Members online

Back